Buffalo Cauliflower Hoagie Recipe
Having become vegan fairly recently, I still get the occasional craving for some foods that would usually require meat. I've done a bit of experimenting, and I've learned how to create meat-free and affordable options. Enjoy!
- cauliflower florets
- homemade buffalo sauce (recipe below, or use store-bought)
- celery, celery seed, chopped
- cucumber, chopped
- whole grain hoagie roll
- optional add-ons: grilled onions, diced tomatoes, lettuce, crushed red pepper
Homemade Buffalo Sauce
- 4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp garlic, chopped and or powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- a few dashes hot sauce (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Steam cauliflower for 10 minutes (preferably in a basket or steamer, not in water).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Drain excess water from the cauliflower.
- Toss cauliflower with buffalo sauce mixture and pepper and space out on a baking sheet. Bake uncovered for 10 minutes (20 if you want more crispy). Toast bun by laying on an oven rack for 5 mins.
- Use as much cauliflower and sauce desirable... there are no rules here! Top hoagie with celery, diced tomatoes, cucumber, lettuce, and blue cheese crumbles (if not doing vegan).
© 2016 Jennifer Jacob