Buffalo Cauliflower Hoagie
Having become vegan fairly recently, I still get the occasional craving for some foods that would usually require meat. I've done a bit of experimenting, and I've learned how to create meat-free and affordable options. Enjoy!
- cauliflower florets
- homemade buffalo sauce (recipe below, or use store-bought)
- celery, celery seed, chopped
- cucumber, chopped
- whole grain hoagie roll
- optional add-ons: grilled onions, diced tomatoes, lettuce, crushed red pepper
Homemade Buffalo Sauce
- 4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp garlic, chopped and or powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- a few dashes hot sauce (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Steam cauliflower for 10 minutes (preferably in a basket or steamer, not in water). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Drain excess water from cauliflower. Toss cauliflower with buffalo sauce mixture and pepper and space out on baking sheet. Bake uncovered for 10 minutes (20 if you want more crispy). Toast bun by laying on oven rack for 5 mins.
- Use as much cauliflower and sauce desirable... there are no rules here! Top hoagie with celery, diced tomatoes, cucumber, lettuce, and blue cheese crumbles (if not doing vegan).