Misbah is a kitchen geek. She loves to cook for her family and share her recipes.
Sweet and Savory Butternut Squash
For a tasty and healthy vegetarian meal, try this Mediterranean quinoa stuffed butternut squash. The sweetness of the butternut squash combines beautifully with hearty quinoa and savory olives and feta cheese. It's so easy to put together, and it looks gorgeous on a serving platter.
If you have guests coming over and want to dazzle them with something special that doesn't take too much effort, then this is a terrific option.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 15 min
Read More From Delishably
- 1 butternut squash, cut in half
- 100 grams quinoa, boiled
- 100 grams feta
- 1 onion, diced
- 50 grams kalamata olives, sliced
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 5 to 6 cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- olive oil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- salt, to taste
- Wash the butternut squash and then cut it in half. Using an ice cream scoop, remove the seeds.
- In a pot, add water until it is halfway filled and bring it to a boil. Carefully place the butternut squash in the water, cover, and cook for about 30 minutes over high heat.
- Check the squash by inserting a knife into the flesh (without cutting into the skin). When the butternut is cooked (the flesh should be very soft), remove from the heat. With a tablespoon, gently scrape the inside to remove the flesh without breaking the skin.
- Place the flesh in a container. With a fork, mash it coarsely. Set aside.
- Cook the quinoa in a pot of boiling water as shown on the package. Drain and then mix with the mashed butternut squash.
- In a bowl, mix the diced onion, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, pinch of nutmeg, garlic powder, shredded feta cheese, sliced olives, salt, and pepper. Place the mixture into the butternut squash skins. Fill it well.
- Preheat your oven to 200°C. Place the stuffed butternut squash in a gratin dish. Drizzle with olive oil and bake for 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot. Yummy stuffed butternut is ready to enjoy with your loved ones.
- You'll need to scoop out some of the flesh and seeds to create a place for your Mediterranean quinoa mix. Using an ice cream scoop rather than a standard spoon is the easiest way to do it.
- You add any vegetables of your choice to this recipe.
- Try adding garnishes like spinach, coriander leaves, mint, or parsley.
- If you are not vegetarian, you can add shredded or stir-fried chicken, tuna, or any meat of your choice.
- Vegan variation: Simply leave out the feta cheese or substitute tofu. It will still be terrific!
© 2021 Misbah Sheikh