Capsicum Raita (Bell Pepper Tambuli) Recipe
Capsicum Raita (Bell Pepper Tambuli)
A Simple and Delicious Yogurt-Based Side Dish
You can make capsicum (bell pepper) raita in about 15 minutes for four people. Capsicum, yogurt or curds, grated coconut, dry red chilies, and cumin seeds are the main ingredients to make this raita.
Capsicum boosts immunity. It is high in vitamin A, vitamin B-6, and vitamin C. Studies show that capsicum has fewer calories than similar veggies. It can help reduce cholesterol levels in the body. The vitamin E in them helps to maintain skin and makes hair look youthful.
This veggie has mild sweet flavor, crunchiness, and an appetizing aroma that continues to be there even after roasting or cooking. Though it belongs to pepper family, it is not hot.
Capsicum raita is mildly spicy and delicious. It has a pleasant aroma. This yogurt-based raita has a cooling effect on your body.
I recommend you to eat this raita with steamed rice at the beginning of the meal to cool down your body.
Below, I'll share the detailed recipe with you.
- 1 cup capsicum (bell pepper), roughly chopped
- 1 cup yogurt or curds, medium sour
- 2-3 tbsp grated coconut
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ghee or oil, I used ghee
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1 dry red chili, broken
- 1/2 tsp salt, or as per taste
- water as required
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Capsicum Raita
- Heat half a teaspoon ghee or oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Add cumin seeds. Let them sizzle. Throw in broken red chilies.
- Add chopped capsicum. Add some salt. Saute on medium-high heat until capsicum becomes cooked and soft.
- You can sprinkle very little water to keep them moist. Turn off the heat. Keep aside for cooling.
- Once it reduces hotness and becomes warm, put the mixture in a mixer or blender.
- Add grated coconut and some yogurt. Grind to get a smooth paste.
- Collect it in a serving dish. Add remaining yogurt and salt. Mix well.
- Add water to adjust the consistency. This raita should be moderately thick.
- Adding a tempering to this raita is optional. However, adding tempering will certainly increase the taste.
- For the tempering, heat remaining ghee in a small pan. Throw in mustard seeds. Let them crackle.
- Throw in curry leaves. Turn off the heat. Mix well. Pour this on the raita. Stir it once.
- Your favorite capsicum raita is ready to serve! Serve it with steamed rice or drink it as is. Enjoy the taste.
Nutritional Information of Capsicum Raita
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||54|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 6 g||9%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 1 g|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 12 g||24%|
|Cholesterol 1 mg|
|Sodium 20 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|