I am a food enthusiast and am always trying new recipes. I love to garden, get crafty, and read a good book!
Before & After Cooking Magic!
Delicious and Versatile Caramelized Onions
Making caramelized onions is very simple—all you really need is enough time to let the magic happen. The onions pretty much do all the work as they cook down in the pan; you just want to watch that the heat isn't too high and that the onions don't burn at the end of the cooking process. You'll want them to be barely making any noise in the pan as they cook. The slow cooking process is what draws out the sweetness and flavor of the onions.
Caramelized onions are a wonderfully versatile topping. I like to put them on top of pizza, in my stuffed mushrooms recipe, on top of my morning bagel, and on top of bread with hummus. The options are endless!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 10 min
- 1 medium-sized sweet onion, cut into slices
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- pinch salt
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Peel outer skin of onion and discard. Slice remaining onion and set aside.
- Pour olive oil into a pan on medium heat.
- Add onion slices, salt, and sugar.
- Stir all ingredients in the pan. Lower heat to medium-low or low heat.
- Occasionally stir the onions. They will turn translucent and then light brown as they caramelize.
- Depending on the size of the onion, it may take more or less time than 1 hour for the onion to caramelize. Taste test as it cooks and you will know it's done when the onion is soft and sweet.
- Use as a topping for toast, salad, pasta, or other dishes. Enjoy!
Note: To reheat caramelized onions, heat them for only a few minutes and do it on the stove top, not in the microwave. Because the onions have been cooked for so long, they will have minimal water content and will burn quickly if you warm them in the microwave.
© 2019 Lisa Bean
Lisa Bean (author) from Nevada on July 19, 2019:
I agree Peggy! I love the depth of flavor that comes with cooking the onions for a long time over low heat!
Peggy Woods from Houston, Texas on July 19, 2019:
Caramelized onions have so much flavor! I make them quite often. Perhaps your recipe will encourage more people to try them if they have not yet made them for themselves.