I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods, and I enjoy sharing recipes from my native Indian cuisine.
Chickpea Salad Is a High Protein Food
Chickpeas (garbanzo beans) are tasty legumes that are particularly delicious when cooked.
Chickpeas have many health benefits. They contain lots of fiber, protein, antioxidants, minerals, carbohydrate, iron, phosphorous, folate, manganese, etc. They have additional benefits, as well. They help to control blood sugar levels. Chickpeas increase satiety and hence may help in weight loss. Due to high fiber content, they improve digestion and bowel movement. They may also help to protect against cancer and heart disease.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves four people
- 1 bowl chickpeas (garbanzo beans), soaked overnight
- 2–3 tbsp fresh green peas, sauteed (optional)
- 2–3 tbsp onion, finely chopped
- 2–3 tbsp tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp pepper powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp mint leaves, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tbsp flaxseeds, dry roasted
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, dry roasted
- 1/4 tsp or less salt, or as per taste
- Soak chickpeas overnight in water. Drain the water. Add some fresh water and a bit of salt. Cook them. I cooked them in a pressure cooker. Strain them.
- You can use the chickpea water for making soup or curry.
- Place cooked chickpeas in a bowl. Add all remaining ingredients, except roasted sesame seeds and flaxseeds.
- Mix well. This is the salad.
- Now, heat a pan. Dry roast sesame seeds and flaxseeds until golden brown. Turn off the heat. Set aside to cool.
- Serve 2–3 tablespoons of the salad topped with some roasted flaxseeds and sesame seeds.
- Enjoy eating this yummy salad for good health!
© 2018 ShailaSheshadri
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on March 17, 2018:
Thanks Margie Lynn. Try this easy chickpea salad. Reap the best health benefits!
Margie's Southern Kitchen from the USA on March 17, 2018:
ShailaSheshadri I love most salads, I have not tried the garbanzo bean in very many recipes. This looks yummy! Thanks for sharing!