How to Make Steamed Wontons
Veg Steamed Wontons
A Balanced Combination of Veggies and Spices
Wontons are very delicious due to the balanced combination of veggies, spices, and the wrap. Adding a dip to it also enhances the taste.
Cabbage, carrots, French beans, green onions, minced ginger-garlic, and pepper powder are the ingredients used in making the stuffing. The wrap is made with plain flour, corn flour, liquid butter, and a bit of salt.
You can use any vegetable of your choice to make the stuffing. However, the combination in this recipe is a good choice, and it tastes great.
Wontons are healthy, as they contain varieties of veggies in the stuffing. That too, steamed wontons are doubly healthy as they are oil-free.
Serve these steamed dumplings hot with a hot garlic sauce or a sweet-spicy tomato ketchup. They are the perfect evening snack for the whole family.
Now on to the detailed recipe.
- 2 small cups +1 tsp all purpose flour or maida, for the dough and for binding the veggies
- 1 tsp butter, melted, for the dough
- 1/4 tsp salt, for the dough
- 2-3 tbsp corn flour, for the dough
- 2 tbsp chopped onions
- 1/4 inch ginger, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup capsicum, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 cup french beans, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp pepper powder
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Veg Steamed Wontons
- Start the recipe by making the dough. This is for making the wonton wrap.
- Put all purpose flour, corn flour, melted butter, and salt in a mixing bowl. Dry mix them.
- Next, add water little by little, and knead to get a smooth and firm dough.
- Cover the dough with a wet cloth or with a vessel. Set aside for ten minutes.
- In the meanwhile, make the stuffing. Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Add chopped onions, minced ginger, and minced garlic. Saute till onions become translucent.
- Now, add all the chopped veggies. Throw in some salt. Increase the heat. Stir-cook the veggies for a few minutes or until they become soft and yet retain crunchiness.
- In the final stages, you can sprinkle a few drops of water to keep it moist. Sprinkle some all purpose flour on the veggies. Mix them well. Turn off the heat.
- You will observe that the veggies bind nicely. Keep aside for cooling.
- Now, divide the dough in many small lemon-sized equal parts. Make balls out of them. Roll one such ball to make a small disc. Refer the pic.
- Place a teaspoon stuffing in the center. Fold it towards the opposite edge. Press on the edges of the filling, forming a small pouch. Now, pull the open ends, seal them.
- Observe that now, the pouch is surrounded by the wrap around. This way, make all the wontons.
- Place these wontons inside a steamer or cooker. Cover the lid. Don't place the weight. Steam cook for 9-10 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Open the lid. Take the wontons out. Serve them hot with a spicy garlic sauce or mild-spicy tomato ketchup. Enjoy eating this delicious snack!
Nutritional Information of Veg Steamed Wontons
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 0 g|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 5 g||2%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 1 mg|
|Sodium 29 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|