Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home.
Upma Made With Milk
Cornmeal is high in fiber content and protein. It is a rich source of carbohydrates, carotenoids, and essential minerals. Also, it is low in fat and calories.
Cornmeal has a unique, appetizing aroma. It cooks fast. It combines very well with milk. This upma is made mainly with milk, vegetables, lemon, and salt.
Serve this delicious upma for breakfast or after school food.
I'll share a detailed recipe below.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves four people
- 2 small cups cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tbsp onions, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup mixed vegetables, optional, I used carrots and capsicum, cubed
- 3 tbsp grated coconut
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 3 green chilies, slit and chopped in long pieces
- 8 curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 3 tsp oil, I used 1 tsp ghee and 2 tsp oil
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp sugar, to balance the taste
- 1/2 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Cornmeal Upma
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a deep-bottomed pan, preferably a non-stick pan.
- Throw in mustard seeds. Let them crackle. Add curry leaves. Saute for 5 seconds.
- Add cornmeal. Saute over low heat for about 6 minutes. Turn off the heat. Transfer it to a plate.
- In the same pan, add remaining oil. Throw in chopped onions and green chilies. Saute until onions are golden brown.
- Add chopped veggies, except tomatoes. Add some salt. Saute over medium high heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes. Continue sauteing for further two minutes.
- Throw in grated coconut and chopped coriander leaves. Add milk. Throw in turmeric powder. Let the mixture come to a gentle boil.
- Add cornmeal. Stir-cook continuously until the mixture becomes thick and cornmeal gets cooked. If needed, add some water to keep it moist.
- Add remaining salt, sugar, and lemon juice. Mix well. Turn off the heat.
- Your favorite cornmeal upma is ready! Serve it hot as is or top it with some fried tidbits. Enjoy the taste.