Linda was taught to cook from an early age, thanks to her father. She shares many of her favorite recipes that she knows you will savor.
Veggies for Dinner
I'm a big believer in having some type of vegetable with dinner. When I choose to prepare salad, I like to switch it up and not always serve the same old lettuce salad. One of my favorite alternatives is cucumber salad. I've tried every kind of cucumber salad imaginable, and this recipe is my favorite by far.
|Prep time||Ready in||Yields|
- 3 medium or large cucumbers, sliced thin
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cut onions into slices and sprinkle them with salt. Set aside.
- Peel and cut cucumbers into thin slices. (set aside).
- In a mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, dill, white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, and sugar. Mix with a whisk.
- Add onions and cucumbers to creamy mixture and toss.
- Refrigerate until chilled and serve.
Read More From Delishably
Did you like this recipe?
Additional Notes: How to "Sweat" the Cucumber Slices
It is best to let the salted cucumbers "sweat" Arrange and salt cucumbers in layers in a bowl, then cover the bowl with plastic wrap or foil. Set a heavy can or object on top to help push the moisture out. The longer you sweat the cucumbers, the better.
Health Benefits of Cucumbers
According to wholefoods.com, Cucumbers are an excellent source of vitamin K and molybdenum. They are also a very good source of the pantothenic acid, copper, potassium, manganese, vitamin C, phosphorus, magnesium, biotin, and vitamin B1. Not to mention that contain the important nail health-promoting mineral silica.
The New York Times adds other interesting attributes of cucumbers. They can:
- Help With Hangovers: Just cut up a few slices after a night of cocktailing to reduce dehydration and headache
- Reduce Bad Breath: If you don't have chewing gum or mints around; cut up slices of cucumber to freshen your breath
- Increase Your Energy: If your feeling tired and lacking energy, these green veggies are a great alternative to grabbing a soda loaded with caffeine.
- Reduce Inflammation
- Aid in Brain Protection: As they can improve memory and decrease the risk of dementia and Alzheimer's.
- Contain Numerous Antioxidants
- Reduce the Risk for Certain Types of Cancer
- Reduce Stress: As they contain multiple sources of vitamin B.
- Encourage Healthy Digestion: Cucumbers contain high levels of fiber and water which help maintain healthy digestion.
- Help Maintain Weight: They aid in maintaining healthy weight due to the high fiber/water content.
- Help Heart Health and Blood Pressure: They contain potassium, which helps to maintain heart health & lowering blood pressure levels.
Creamy Cucumber Salad
Questions & Answers
Question: How long can I keep a creamy cucumber salad in the fridge?
Answer: I've left it in the refrigerator for four days, and it was fine. Just know that it sweats, and you may need to add more mayo if it's too watery for your taste.
© 2010 Linda Rogers