Easy Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe for the Holidays
Easy Sweet Potato Casserole
Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
Do you like sweet potatoes? I never liked them, but once I tried this easy recipe from my mother-in-law (who received it from another family member), I was in love. This sweet potato casserole is so delicious! It can be eaten as a side dish or a dessert, warm or cold. It's a great blend of textures: crunchy topping with a creamy filling. Yum!
The wonderful thing about this recipe is that it can be made ahead of time and warmed up (covered) in the oven or microwave the next day.
When I make this recipe for a holiday, I usually double it. It makes more than enough for 12+ people, and then some.
Easy Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
Ingredients for Sweet Potato Casserole
- 3 cups cooked sweet potatoes, can be canned or fresh
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup melted butter, 1 stick=1/2 cup
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed (topping)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, (topping)
- 1/2 cup flour, (topping)
- 1/2 cup melted butter, (topping)
Notes about Ingredients
I used six fresh sweet potatoes (yams) for a doubled recipe. Simply peel, quarter and boil for about 20 minutes or until soft enough to mix with a mixer.
Want to save a bit of money? Don't buy pre-chopped walnuts. Buy shelled walnuts and chop them yourself (ex. 1 bag chopped walnuts= $7 and 1 bag shelled walnuts= $4.50). If you have more time, you can even buy shelled walnuts and do that extra bit of work yourself.
I have seen similar recipes that call for pecans for the topping, but I really like the walnuts in this!
There is a lot of butter in this recipe. When I made it, I actually used a little less butter in the sweet potato mixture, and it still tasted great. You can also use less fattening butters or margarine in the recipe if you are concerned with the butter content.
Instructions for Sweet Potato Casserole
- Blend the first six ingredients with mixer until well blended.
- Place in casserole dish. Leave about 2 inches of space in the dish. (Why? If there is no room at the top, you will end up with a mess when the mixture starts to bubble up.)
- Topping: Mix together the ingredients for the topping in a separate bowl.
- Sprinkle or spoon onto sweet potato mixture. Spread as evenly as possible over the top. Cover with lid or aluminum foil.
- Bake covered at 350' for 45-50 minutes or until dark and bubbly.
- Bake uncovered for 10-15 minutes to brown the topping.
Sweet Potato Casserole PhotosClick thumbnail to view full-size
Make the Recipe Ahead of Time
As I said above, you can make this recipe ahead of time and reheat it the next day. I do that when I need to make it for a holiday get together. Simply place the casserole covered in the oven (350) for about 15-20 minutes or in the microwave (no aluminum foil in the microwave!) for about 5-10 minutes. Still tastes great!
Sweet Potato Casserole Leftovers? Yes, Please!
This recipe is so yummy, we don't mind eating it as leftovers. Since it's so sweet, it tastes like a dessert and can be eaten cold, which is how I like it. It can also be reheated, as mentioned above.
Enjoy your sweet potato casserole!
Questions & Answers
© 2012 Marissa