Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home without using preservatives and artificial colors.
Preparation and Cooking Time
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
12 falafel balls
- 1 cup chickpeas (garbanzo beans), soaked in water for 8–10 hours
- 1 packed cup dill leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup coriander (cilantro), chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 2 green chilli
- 1 tsp chickpea flour (optional)
- salt, to taste
- oil, for deep-frying
- Wash the chickpeas, put them in a bowl, and soak them in fresh water for 8–10 hours. Drain the water and set aside.
- Combine all of the ingredients (except the chickpea flour and frying oil) in a mixer or blender. Dry-grind them to get a coarse mix. If the mix is too loose, add chickpea flour (besan) to get the required consistency. The perfect consistency means you should be able to make firm balls from the mix. Transfer the mix to a bowl.
- Pour oil in a pan for deep-frying and heat it. Prepare lemon-sized balls from the mix and drop them into the hot oil. Don't overcrowd them.
- Fry the balls on high flame for 4 minutes, turning them occasionally. Reduce the flame and continue frying until they turn brownish and crispy. Remove the balls, drain the oil, and place them on absorbent paper.
- Your dill leaves falafels are ready to eat. Serve them hot with tomato sauce or any other dip of your choice. Enjoy!
- Falafel is a popular Middle Eastern snack that is very delicious and healthy.
- You can prepare falafel mix in advance for later use. This mix can be preserved for 1–2 days in a closed container in the refrigerator. Bring the mix to room temperature before frying.
- You eat falafel as is or pair it with a dip of your choice.
Dora Weithers from The Caribbean on September 17, 2017:
Another good recipe. Falafel is my favorite Mediterranean food. Love a falafel sandwich.
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on August 23, 2016:
I wish you try this recipe. It is a great evening snack for children too. The natural ingredients used in this dish gives nice aroma and taste to this snack. Don't forget to munch it when it is hot.