I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods, and I enjoy sharing recipes from my native Indian cuisine.
An Awesome Side Dish in Just 15 Minutes
Carrots are one of the most widely used and enjoyed vegetables in the world. Both adults and children like them because of their mild sweetness and crunchy texture. You can make many colorful dishes using this delicious orange veggie.
This particular recipe for carrot stir-fry comes together in just 15 minutes. Adding green chilies and grated coconut makes this side dish flavorful and only mildly spicy.
Carrot Nutrition and Health Benefits
Carrots are a good source of antioxidants, beta-carotene, fiber, folate, pantothenic acid, iron, copper, potassium, manganese, and vitamins A, C, K, and B8.
Their health benefits may include a lower risk of heart attack, reduction of cholesterol, improved vision, and reduced signs of premature aging. They may also help boost the immune system, improve digestion, detoxify your body, improve cardiovascular health, and improve oral health.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
2 to 3 servings
- 6 medium-sized carrots, washed, peeled, diced
- 3-4 green chilies, slit lengthwise, cut into one-inch length pieces
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- salt to taste
- a few curry leaves
- Wash and peel carrots. Dice them or chop into 1-cm length pieces.
- Heat a deep-bottomed pan or wok. Add oil. Throw in mustard seeds. Let them crackle.
- Throw in slit green chilies and curry leaves. Saute them for 30 seconds.
- Add chopped carrots. Add some salt. Stir-cook on a high heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat a little, add a 1/2 cup of water. Mix well. Cook, covered, for 4-5 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- By this time, the water should have almost dried up. Throw in grated coconut. Add remaining salt. Give a good stir.
- Turn off the stove. Your yummy carrot stir-fry is ready. It is crunchy, colorful, and delicious.
- Serve with rice, roti, flatbread, or chapati. Enjoy the taste!
ShailaSheshadri (author) from Bengaluru on November 21, 2017:
Thanks Elizabeth. Carrot stir-fry is a very simple recipe that you can follow easily. Only a few ingredients are used in this recipe. As carrots are stir-fried here, they don't lose any nutrients. Try this!
Elizabeth J Neal from Louisiana on November 21, 2017:
Thank you for this awesome recipe. I just love carrots!