After living in the city for 30 years, EC moved to the countryside. He writes about life in the mountains, dogs, plants, and cooking.
Green Beans Are Fiber-Rich
Green beans are always abundant in the market. This vegetable is planted by farmers all year round; though the plant requires a semi-cold climate to produce crunchy and plump string beans.
Green beans can be mixed into almost any vegetable dish. They can be sauteed, stewed, grilled, baked, and stir-fried. Chinese recipes often involve stir-frying chopped vegetables, such as chopped green beans and carrots. Protein is added in the form of fried tofu.
- 1 cup of green beans, washed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup carrots, cut into strips
- 1/2 tofu, cubed and fried
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- dash of iodized salt and ground pepper
- Heat oil in a non-stick wok over low heat.
- Stir-fry garlic until golden brown.
- Cook onions until transparent.
- Stir in tomato paste and soy sauce.
- Add a dash of salt and pepper, according to taste.
- Add the green beans and stir-fry until shiny green.
- Toss in the fried tofu cubes. Stir until well-coated with tomato.
- Mix in the carrots strips. Cook for 5 minutes while occasionally stirring.
- Optional: Add a dash of sugar or a drizzle of honey.
- Serve on top of steamed rice or cooked egg noodles, or serve with bread.
Roselyn Mendoza on March 05, 2018:
Pork, (or any kind of meat: chicken, beef, turkey, and even sardines), can be added, if wanted. :)
Debra Baker on February 18, 2018:
What about the pork?
Anamika S Jain from Mumbai - Maharashtra, India on August 28, 2009:
Green Beans have never been my favorites. But those recipes look yummy that i am motivated to try it.
EC Mendoza (author) from Philippines on May 03, 2009:
Thank you, Peggy W. I deliberately hunted for that particular photo (the green beans with pork and sweet spicy sauce) because it looks sooo delicious. :)
Peggy Woods from Houston, Texas on May 02, 2009:
The photo of those green beans has me drooling.
EC Mendoza (author) from Philippines on March 30, 2009:
thank you for the nice comment, Lgali. Glad to meet you :D
Lgali on March 30, 2009:
very nice recipe.nice steps