Easy Corn Pulao Recipe
You can make corn pulao using any variety of corn. Sweet corn gives a nutty sweet flavor to the pulao, while local corn gives this dish a spicy flavor. Both are yummy and flavorful.
When making this dish, be sure to get all of your ingredients ready first. It will be easier for you to cook the pulao right away.
- 1 bowl sweet corn or any other corn, I removed it from the cob
- 1 bowl basmati rice, or any other long grain aromatic rice
- 1/4 small cup hyacinth beans (fresh), optional, I had it and hence used
- 1 small cup French beans, cut in 2-inch length pieces
- 1 small cup chopped mint leaves
- 1 small cup chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tablespoons garam masala powder, available in Indian stores
- 2 tablespoons ginger-garlic-green chili paste, I used 3/4-inch ginger, 3 green chilies, and 3 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons ghee and oil together
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed and pepper powder mix, optional, but gives it a nice flavor
- 1 dry bay leaf
- 1/2 small cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, or as per taste
- Wash and soak basmati rice in fresh water for 20–25 minutes. Strain, keep aside.
- Make a coarse paste of ginger, garlic, and green chilies. Keep aside.
- Wash mint and coriander leaves. Roughly chop them. Keep aside.
- Remove corn from the cob. Keep ready.
- Heat ghee and oil mix in a pressure cooker bottom or in a pot bottom. Add chopped onion and a bay leaf. Sauté until the onions turn golden brown.
- Add French beans. Stir-cook for 2 minutes. Add spice powders and ginger-garlic-green chili paste. Keep the heat very low. Sauté for a few seconds or until you get a nice aroma of the spices.
- Add corn and hyacinth beans. Stir-cook for 3–4 minutes. Add chopped mint-coriander leaves. Continue sautéing until they lose raw aroma.
- Add rice and salt. Continue stir-cooking for 2 minutes. Add about 4 cups of water. The water level should be about an inch above the rice level. Mix well. Let the mix boil for 4 minutes on medium-high heat. Check the liquid for the taste. Add salt if needed.
- Cover the cooker with the lid. Place the cooker weight on. Cook on medium-high heat up to 2 whistles. Reduce the heat. Simmer for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Remove the cooker from the stove top after 5 minutes. Open the lid once the pressure releases completely. Puff the pulao with a fork.
- Transfer it to a serving dish. Corn pulao is ready to eat. Serve it hot with cucumber-onion-tomato raita or any other less spicy yogurt-based raita. Enjoy eating this yummy pulao!
Reheat the Corn to Make It Puffy Again
Corn loses puffiness once cold. So reheat the pulao while serving to get back the puffiness.
Photo Tutorial for Making Corn PulaoClick thumbnail to view full-size
Nutritional Information of Corn Pulao
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||54|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 6 g||9%|
|Carbohydrates 38 g||13%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 282 mg||12%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|