How to Easily Roast Root Vegetables in an Air Fryer
Roasting Vegetables Without Oil
I was intrigued when I heard about a kitchen machine that had the ability to fry and roast different types of food with little to no oil. I had seen a few reviews of different machines, and just like all kitchen appliances out there, some did better than others when it came to turning out crispy goodness.
Roasting root vegetables without oil was the first thing that came to my mind when I unboxed my new air fryer. I was imagining mounds of french fries, air-fried ravioli, and another favorite, roasted root vegetables—all done with no oil.
Can you roast root vegetables without oil? The answer to that question is yes, you sure can. The great thing about it is when you use an air fryer, the vegetables turn out crispy, flavorful, and delicious.
If you try it, let us know what you thought!
A Purple Potato
A Little About the Purple Potato
The purple potato is still fairly new in our cookie-cutter grocery stores. I acquired mine through a produce delivery company called Imperfect Produce and was pleasantly surprised to see this amazing root vegetable in my weekly choices.
These potatoes are commonly called Purple Peruvian. Their deep purple color makes them an interesting addition to dishes like the one we are making here. They are nutritionally fantastic and even contain the antioxidant anthocyanin, which is believed to be an immune system booster. They also contain potassium, vitamin C, and vitamin B6.
Purple potatoes are great for roasting and baking. The interior texture is starchy, similar to a Russet potato. I can best describe their flavor as definitely more earthy than any other type of potato that I have eaten.
They are a really nice addition to your home potato bin and quite impressive when added to the plate. They retain their coloring through the cooking process, so if you are looking for color on your dinner plate, the purple potato will certainly hit the spot.
In this recipe, I am using a variety of root vegetables including:
- purple potatoes
- red potatoes
- different color carrots
- sweet potato
You will not have to use the same exact vegetables that I do. You can use any type of root vegetable that you like and that you have on hand. The end result will still be a great dish that will show you how wonderful and easy it is to roast or fry root vegetables without using any oil.
You can also easily double this recipe if you need to make more than 2 servings.
Root Vegetables Roasted in an Air Fryer
How Long Does it Take?
Ingredients for 2 Servings
- 1 medium sweet potato, diced
- 1 medium red potato, diced
- 1 medium purple potato, diced
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium purple onion, hacked :)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- To your taste, salt & black pepper
How to Roast Root Vegetables in an Air Fryer
How to Make Roasted Root Vegetables in an Air Fryer
- Select and wash all of the vegetables that you are going to be using.
- You want to pre-heat your air fryer at 400 degrees for 5 minutes. While the fryer is warming up, move on to step 3.
- I do not peel my vegetables, but that is just my personal preference but you can peel the vegetables if you like them better that way. Cut and dice all of your root vegetables keeping the pieces as uniform as possible.
- Place the vegetables into the basket on your pre-heated air fryer. Set the time/temp to 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Making sure the basket is securely in the machine, hit the start button.
- While the vegetables are cooking, chop your onion into large pieces.
- When the fryer kicks off at the 8 minute mark, remove the basket and give it a good shake to mix the root vegetables. Add the chopped onion. Put the basket securely back into the fryer and set the timer for 10 minutes.
- While the root vegetables and onion are cooking, mix up your herbs.
- When the fryer kicks off, remove the basket and give it a good shake again to mix the vegetables. Sprinkle your herbs over the top and add your salt and pepper to your liking. Place the basket securely back into the fryer and set the time for 5 minutes and keep the temp at 400 degrees. You are adding the herbs this late in the cooking so you don't burn them. Almost nothing tastes worse than burnt herbs.
- At the end of your two minutes, the vegetables are done and ready to serve!
Do you use an air fryer?
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 0 g|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 30 g||10%|
|Sugar 5 g|
|Fiber 5 g||20%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 46 mg||2%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|