Easy Long Green Eggplant Yogurt Curry or Brinjal Raita Recipe
Green Eggplant (Brinjal) Yogurt Curry or Raita
This Is One of My Favorite Dishes
Raita is a regular summer dish in our house. It is either served with boiled plain rice or with a spicy rice dish/pancakes. As it is made of curds or yogurt, it has soothing effect on the stomach. It cools the whole body system during summer.
For making long green eggplant or brinjal raita, you need only a few basic ingredients that you probably already have. Eggplants, yogurt or thick curd, mustard seeds, asafoetida or hing powder, grated coconut (optional), green chilies, chopped onions, finely chopped coriander leaves, and salt are the ingredients used to make this raita.
How to Make the raita:
To start with, you have to chop eggplants and immerse them in water for 15 minutes. The soaked water turns brownish. Discard this water. Saute eggplant in very little oil for two minutes. Then, add water and cook till they become soft and a little mushy. Keep aside.
Once cold, put them in a mixer grinder. Add cumin seeds, asafoetida/hing, green chilies, grated coconut, some yogurt, and salt. Grind to get a near-smooth liquid or paste. Transfer it into a mixing bowl. Add the remaining yogurt or curd, chopped onions, and finely chopped coriander leaves. Mix well. Eggplant raita is ready! Now you have to temper this raita.
How to Make the Tempering:
Heat some ghee or oil in a small pan. Throw in mustard seeds, de-husked black gram split, broken red chilies, and a few curry leaves. Saute on low fire till mustard crackles. Pour it on the raita. Mix together at the time of serving to ensure the crispiness of the tempering.
Serve this yummy dish with boiled rice or any other spicy main course rice dishes or pancakes. Enjoy eating!
Ingredients for Making Eggplant Raita
- 3-4 long green eggplants or brinjal, diced
- 3 tbsp grated coconut, optional, I used
- 1 glass yogurt or thick curd
- 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1/2 tsp for the raita, 1/2 tsp for the tempering
- 1/4 tsp or less asafoetida or hing powder
- 2-3 green chilies
- 1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp white lentil, for the tempering
- 1 dry red chili, broken, for the tempering
- 8 curry leaves, for the tempering
- 2 tsp oil, 1/2 tsp for cooking eggplant, 1 1/2 tsp for the tempering
- salt to taste
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Eggplant (Brinjal) Raita
- Wash eggplants. Chop them. Immerse in fresh water for 15 minutes. The soaked water turns brownish. discard it.
- Heat some oil in a pan. Throw in eggplant pieces. Stir-cook for two minutes. Pour some water and cook covering the pan, till eggplants become completely soft. Turn off the fire. Allow it to cool.
- Once cold, put them into a mixer grinder. Add grated coconut, green chilies, mustard seeds, asafoetida/hing, a portion of yogurt or thick curd, and salt. Grind together to get a near-smooth liquid or paste.
- Transfer it into a mixing bowl. Add remaining yogurt, chopped onions, and finely chopped coriander leaves. Mix well. Eggplant raita is ready!
- Now is the time for tempering it. Heat some oil or ghee in a small pan. Add mustard seeds, white lentils, broken red chilies, and curry leaves. Saute on low fire till mustard splutters. Pour this tempering on the raita. Mix together at the time of serving. This ensures the crispiness of the tempering.
- Serve eggplant(brinjal) raita with plain boiled rice or any other spicy main course rice dishes or pancakes. Enjoy the mild and flavorful taste!
Nutritional Information of Eggplant (Brinjal) Raita
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||9|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 1 g||2%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 12 g||4%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 5 g||20%|
|Protein 4 g||8%|
|Cholesterol 3 mg||1%|
|Sodium 160 mg||7%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|