Easy Tomato Curry Recipe
This Tomato Curry Will Tickle Your Tastebuds!
Tomatoes are different from other vegetables and fruits. They can be sour yet blend very well with spices and other veggies. To balance their taste, you should always use a bit of jaggery or sugar in tomato recipes.
Tomatoes are packed with nutrients and vitamins. They boost your immune system. They have vitamin A, C, K, B6, and minerals. Include them in your diet to get their many health benefits. Always select ripe, red tomatoes.
I used four tomatoes to make this curry for three people. The addition of freshly chopped ginger, garlic, and onions, along with the spices, gives this dish a delightful crunchiness and and a mouthwatering aroma.
Let me now show you how to make this tangy and delicious tomato curry.
- 4 tomatoes, ripe and red, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 inch ginger, finely chopped
- a pinch hing/asafetida powder
- a pinch turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 8 curry leaves
- 2 tsp or a little more oil
- 1/2 tsp or less sugar, to balance the sourness
- salt to taste
- 2 dry red chilies, broken
- 2-3 tbsp chopped onions
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Tomato Curry
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in mustard seeds. Let them crackle. Add broken red chilies and curry leaves. Saute for 5 seconds.
- Add chopped ginger, garlic, onions, and hing powder. Continue sauteing till onions become golden. Lower the heat.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, and coriander powder. Saute for five seconds.
- Throw in chopped tomatoes. Add salt and sugar. Increase the heat. Mix well. Cover the pan and cook while stirring at intervals. Add some water to keep it wet. You have to cook them till they become mushy.
- Turn off the fire. Transfer the curry into a serving dish. Your tomato curry is ready to serve.
- Eat flat breads, rotis, or rice with this mouth watering, tangy, spicy, and aromatic curry. Enjoy eating!
Nutritional Information of Tomato Curry
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||54|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 6 g||9%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 7 g||2%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 48 mg||2%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|