Green Coriander and Green Pea Patoli/Coriander and Green Pea Curry
Fresh Green Coriander Green Peas Patoli
A Special Side Dish Made With Simple Ingredients
This mildly spicy side dish is very nutritious. You can see this just by looking at the ingredients list. Each ingredient has many nutrients. The best part is that you probably have most of these items in your kitchen already.
You need fresh green coriander, fresh/frozen peas, capsicum, cumin seeds, carom seeds, dry red chilies, soaked split chickpeas, oil, curry leaves, white lentils, mustard seeds, and lemon juice to make this curry. This is a dry side dish. You can easily pack it in a lunchbox. It took me about 30 minutes to make this.
Now, let me share the detailed recipe with you.
- 1/2 big cup split chickpeas/gram dal, soak in water for 4 hours, strain them
- 1/2 cup fresh green coriander, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green peas fresh/frozen
- 1/4 cup capsicum, finely chopped
- 3-4 dry red chilies, three for the paste, one for the tempering
- 8 curry leaves
- 1 tsp white lentils/urad dal
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1/2 tsp for the paste, 1/2 tsp for the tempering
- 1/4 tsp carom seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida/hing powder
- 2-3 tbsp oil
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp sugar, optional, for balancing the taste
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Fresh Green Coriander Green Peas Patoli
- Take soaked split chickpeas (gram dal), half teaspoon cumin seeds, and three broken, dry red chilies in a mixer or blender.
- Grind, adding very little water to get a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in mustard seeds. Let them splutter. Add remaining cumin seeds, carom seeds, white lentils(urad dal), broken red chilies, hing powder, and curry leaves.
- Saute till cumin sizzles and white lentils turn golden brown.
- Add finely chopped fresh green coriander and fresh green peas. Saute for two minutes.
- Add split chickpea paste. Add salt and turmeric powder. Mix well. Cook on a slow flame stirring occasionally. You can close the pan at times for fast cooking.
- After stir-cooking for a few minutes, the mix becomes almost dry and leaves the bottom. Ensure that chickpea paste is cooked properly.
- Add lemon juice and sugar(optional). Check for the taste. Adjust accordingly.
- Turn off the heat. Your favorite fresh green coriander green peas patoli is ready to serve!
- Serve it as a side dish with roti, rice, flatbread, or chapati. Enjoy eating this nutritious and tasty curry.