I am a food enthusiast and am always trying new recipes. I love to garden, get crafty, and read a good book!
Cucumber Salad in a Sunbeam
Cucumber Salad Even a 5-Year-Old Can Make
I like this recipe because of its simplicity and versatility. You can change out the types of onions and the types of cucumber and it will still taste delicious. You can even try out other types of vinegar instead of the rice wine vinegar. I would recommend apple cider vinegar and red onions for an alternative to the recipe listed below.
Even taking into account the cutting of the cucumber and onions, this is a recipe that my 5-year-old could make—with a little supervision, of course!
You can eat this salad as soon as you've finished making it, but if you let the flavors meld, even for 30 minutes, the flavor will be significantly better. Giving the cucumber and onions time to marinate in the spices and vinegar allows them to absorb a lot of the delicious flavor. Your mouth will be happy for sure!
Read More From Delishably
|Prep time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves 2-3 people
- 1 large English cucumber, sliced into thin rounds
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dill, dried
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 shallot, sliced thin
- In a bowl, add sugar, salt, dill, and vinegar. Stir to combine. Add the sliced shallots and toss to coat. You can replace the shallots with sliced red onion or sweet onion, if you prefer.
- Add the sliced cucumber and mix all of the ingredients together. Cucumber can be sliced thin by hand or by using a mandolin. For this salad, I sliced it by hand.
- For best flavor, refrigerate and allow at least 30 minutes to marinate. This will allow the vinegar, sugar, and spices to penetrate the cucumbers and mellow out the shallots a bit.
- To kick up the heat for this dish, you can also add a pinch of chili pepper flakes. Keep in mind, however, that as the dish marinates the chili flavor may intensify.
- If you do not enjoy the heat of chili flakes, you can also add sesame seeds for another added texture.
- Serve cold and enjoy!
What did you think?
© 2019 Lisa Bean