Fresh Steamed Artichoke
Artichoke Ready for Dinner
Simple & Satisfying Side Dish
This artichoke recipe is one that I adapted after looking through several others online. It's very easy and contains only minimal ingredients, which makes throwing it together a cinch. I like to set a timer for 15 minutes so I can periodically check the water level in the pot. This was a crowd pleaser in my home, and hopefully it will be in yours, as well!
If you would like a lower calorie option, simply omit the lemon butter sauce and just drizzle lemon over the artichoke when it's fully cooked.
- 2 artichokes
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons lemon, divided in half
- 2-4 cups water
- Prepare artichokes for steaming by cutting off the tops, where the pointy parts are. Use scissors to cut the remaining points off of the leaves. (Refer to the photo below to see how the trimmed artichokes should look.)
- Bang the artichokes on a flat surface to open the leaves; then rinse them with water.
- Place artichokes into a pot with several inches of water on the bottom. (Alternatively, use a steamer basket if you have one.)
- Drizzle about 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the artichokes. Add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice to the water. Cover and cook on medium heat. The water should be gently simmering.
- Check the water level every 15 minutes or so and add more water if it is getting low. This will prevent the bottom the artichokes from burning and ensure that they continue to cook evenly.
- After 1 hour of cooking, check for doneness by carefully pulling out one of the middle leaves and tasting. The bottom of the artichoke leaf should be tender. If it is not, continue to cook in 15-minute increments until done.
- To make the lemon butter sauce, melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Add remaining lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Stir to combine.
- Drizzle sauce over artichoke or use as a dipping sauce on the side. Enjoy!
Health Benefits of Artichoke
What did you think?
Have You Ever Cooked Artichoke Before?
|Serving size: 2|
|Calories from Fat||225|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 25 g||38%|
|Saturated fat 12 g||60%|
|Carbohydrates 20 g||7%|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Fiber 10 g||40%|
|Protein 6 g||12%|
|Cholesterol 46 mg||15%|
|Sodium 430 mg||18%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Questions & Answers
© 2019 Lisa Bean