German Red Cabbage
Sweet and Tangy
- 1 Head Red Cabbage, Sliced thinly across, core removed
- 1 Large Yellow Onion, Sliced lengthwise
- 1 Medium Apple (Tart apples like Granny Smith work well), Skin on, core removed, and sliced
- 2 Tbsp Butter, Salted
- 1/3 cup Sugar, Granulated
- 1/3 cup Apple Cider Vinegar, (Other vinegars may be substituted to taste)
- 1/3 cup Red Wine, (May substitute broth or water)
- 1/4 tsp Ground Clove
- To Taste Salt & Pepper
- 1 Whole Bay Leaf
Lass uns kochen
- Heat a dutch oven or large sauce pan to medium-high. Add the butter. When melted, add the sliced onion and apple. Cook, stirring infrequently as to let brown and caramelize. Salt & Pepper.
- Sprinkle sugar over onion mixture and stir to caramelize further. Put the remaining ingredients in the pan, cover, and reduce heat. Note: A little clove goes a long way. Cook for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally.
More by this Author
Even the kids will eat these BBQ'd Brussel Sprouts wrapped in bacon. These skewers make a great addition to Football Sunday.
This is a classic Southern Potato Salad I learned from my Mom, Linda. I have never seen anyone else top a potato salad with grated egg yolk, and it's simply delicious!
Turning a bag of dry pinto beans into a hearty meal does not have to be daunting! Beans make a cheap, nutrient dense meal. Find out how to make it easy.