Melissa is a certified food scientist with over 20 years in the food industry. New food development and matching are her specialties.
Sweet and Tangy
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 15 min
1 hour 30 min
- 1 Head Red Cabbage, Sliced thinly across, core removed
- 1 Large Yellow Onion, Sliced lengthwise
- 1 Medium Apple (Tart apples like Granny Smith work well), Skin on, core removed, and sliced
- 2 Tbsp Butter, Salted
- 1/3 cup Sugar, Granulated
- 1/3 cup Apple Cider Vinegar, (Other vinegars may be substituted to taste)
- 1/3 cup Red Wine, (May substitute broth or water)
- 1/4 tsp Ground Clove
- To Taste Salt and Pepper
- 1 Whole Bay Leaf
Lass uns kochen
- Heat a dutch oven or large saucepan to medium-high. Add the butter. When melted, add the sliced onion and apple. Cook, stirring infrequently as to let brown and caramelize. Salt and Pepper.
- Sprinkle sugar over the onion mixture and stir to caramelize further. Put the remaining ingredients in the pan, cover, and reduce heat. Note: A little clove goes a long way. Cook for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally.
© 2016 Melissa Holton
Melissa Holton (author) from New River, AZ on March 10, 2016:
Where are you located?
peachy from Home Sweet Home on March 10, 2016:
red cabbage is a rare veggie here