Making Green Pea and Potato Soup With Beetroot Topping
A Delicious, Milky, Green Soup
Green pea and potato soup is very delicious with its smoky and pronounced flavor. Milk and garlic make magic here. This soup is loaded with nutrients on its own. Added to that, it is topped with stir-fried beetroot.
Green peas are a very good source of vitamin K, dietary fiber, vitamin B, vitamin C, folates, iron, protein, and many other minerals. These mildly sweet peas are very soft and delicious.
Potatoes are a low-calorie and nutrient-dense vegetable. It gives a silky finish to this soup. It has no fat, sodium, or cholesterol. It is a good source of fiber, potassium, antioxidants, and vitamin C. Potato dishes are very tasty.
Beetroot is high in immune-boosting vitamin C, fiber, and minerals. It ranks among the top ten antioxidant vegetables. It has folates, flavonoids, and carotenoids. It is sweet and tasty.
The other ingredients used are garlic, ginger, pepper powder, milk, and butter. All these are beneficial for human body.
Making this green peas potato soup is very easy. It took me about 30 minutes to make this soup for three people.
Now, let me share the detailed recipe with you.
- 1 small cup green peas, fresh or frozen, I used frozen
- 1 small cup potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small cup beetroot, finely chopped into cubes
- 1/2 tsp butter
- 2 small cups milk
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 inch ginger, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/3 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 1/4 tsp butter, for sauteing beetroot
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Green Pea and Potato Soup with Beetroot Topping
- Heat 1/2 a teaspoon butter in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in chopped ginger and garlic.
- Saute till they become golden. Now, add green peas and potatoes. Add some salt. Stir-cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add a cup of water. Cover the pan. Cook on a low heat till the veggies get cooked.
- Transfer the mix to a mixer or blender.
- In the same pan, add 1/2 a teaspoon butter once again.
- Throw in diced beetroot. Add very little salt. Stir-cook, sprinkling water little by little, just enough to cook beetroot.
- This step may take about 7-8 minutes. You can cover the pan for a while to speed up the process. However, be careful that beetroot doesn't burn in the bottom.
- Collect it in a bowl. This is for topping the soup.
- Add milk to the mixer. Grind the green peas potato mix with milk to get a smooth puree.
- Transfer the puree to the same pan. Add remaining milk, remaining salt, and pepper powder. Add water to make it thin. Bring the mix to a gentle boil.
- Turn off the heat. Pour the soup equally into three bowls. Top each of the bowls with 1/3 each of the sauteed beetroot.
- For keeping the beetroot cubes always on the top, make the puree thick by adding less water.
- If the soup is thin, beetroot may sink. No problem. Eat the beetroot cubes along with the puree.
- Both the ways, this soup is awesome. Enjoy drinking this smoky flavored soup!
Nutritional Information of Green Pea and Potato Soup with Beetroot Topping
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||9|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 1 g||2%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 22 g||7%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 58 mg||2%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|