Josef has a day job in tech, but his main interests include cooking and food photography.
I’m not a fan of coconut milk. Really. I dislike the fatty feel it leaves on my tongue. But I do love coconut butter. (Such a hypocrite.)
My flatmate likes Thai curry, though. That’s why I sometimes have a can of coconut milk or two in the house. It’s such a burden if I have to cook two separate meals every time he asks for curry. This is the moment when you have to adapt and use whatever spices you can to hide away the fatty taste. And no, I don’t buy that ‘light’ coconut milk. That stuff is even ickier. Who wants fatty and watery at the same time? Not me.
Coconut milk mushroom sauce sounds okay. Coconut milk mushroom sauce with cloves? Now that I have to try.
This recipe can serve 2 people. Make sure you cook some carbs to go along with it.
- 250 grams asparagus, grilled
- 1 can coconut milk, full-fat
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 big garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 of a bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 300 grams white mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 of a soup cube, chicken or vegetable tastes best
- some pepper, to taste
- Soften onion and garlic in a pot using a bit of oil.
- Put the cloves, bell pepper, and mushrooms into the pot, and stir them around until the mushrooms turn brown. (When I do this, I have this quote from "Julie & Julia" in my head: "Don’t crowd the mushrooms; otherwise, they won’t brown.")
- Put the coconut cream in the pot with the soup cube or salt. (I don’t use the watery part in the can, but if you do, I think you will need to use some cornstarch to thicken the sauce.)
- Simmer the mixture for around 15 minutes.
- Serve this sauce with grilled asparagus. It's also good over rice or pasta.
Josef Norgren (author) on April 28, 2017:
@Claire Thank you, let me know how it turns out!
Claire from Lincolnshire, UK on April 28, 2017:
This looks yummy, I will have to give it a try. I am not a big fan of coconut but do like coconut milk in curries. I think the mushrooms and asparagus would be nice with a cheese or creamy peppercorn sauce too. Thank you for sharing.
Josef Norgren (author) on April 26, 2017:
@Virginia Kearney Let me know what you think of it. I'm excited!
Virginia Kearney from United States on April 26, 2017:
I happen to have all of those ingredients in my kitchen right now. Like your flatmate, I love coconut milk and I will have to try this.