Grilled Asparagus With Coconut Milk Mushroom Sauce
I’m not a fan of coconut milk. Really. I dislike the fatty feel it leaves on my tongue.
But I do love coconut butter. Such a hypocrite.
My flatmate likes Thai curry though. That’s why sometimes I have a can of coconut milk or two in the house. It’s such a burden if I have to cook two separate meals every time he asks for curry. This is the moment when you have to adapt. Use whatever spices you can to hide away the fatty taste. And no, I don’t buy that ‘light’ coconut milk. That stuff is even icky-er. Who wants fatty and watery at the same time? Not me.
Coconut milk mushroom sauce sounds okay. Coconut milk mushroom sauce with cloves? Now that I have to try.
This recipe can serve 2 people. Make sure you cook some carbs to go along with it.
- 250g asparagus, grilled
- 1 can coconut milk, full fat
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 big garlic clove, finely chopped
- Half a bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 300g white mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 a soup cube, chicken or vegetable tastes best
- some pepper, to taste
- Soften onion and garlic in a pot using a bit of oil.
- Put the cloves, bell pepper, and mushrooms into the pot, and stir them around until mushrooms turn brown. (When I do this, I have this quote from Julie & Julia in my head: "Don’t crowd the mushrooms; otherwise, they won’t brown.")
- Put the coconut cream in the pot with the soup cube or salt (I don’t use the water part in the can, but if you do, I think you will need to use some corn starch to thicken the sauce)
- Simmer the mixture for around 15 minutes.
- Served this sauce with grilled asparagus and over rice or pasta.