Healthy Snacks: Chinese Bhel Recipe
Some Information About Chinese Bhel
An overview of Chinese bhel:
Chinese bhel is the only chaat that can be categorized under Chinese recipes. It is an Indochinese snack that can be made in 30 minutes. Fried noodles are mixed with sautéed, crunchy veggies and spicy sauces to get a unique taste. Serve this snack quickly to enjoy the crunchiness of the noodles. It may turn soggy after some time.
Which are the ingredients you should keep handy?
Fried Hakka noodles, cabbage, carrot, tomato, red capsicum, green capsicum, Szechuan sauce, tomato sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, chopped coriander leaves, and spring onion, etc, are the main ingredients used in the recipe. Keep the fried noodles ready in advance to shorten the cook time.
- 1 bowl Hakka noodles, soaked in water for 20 minutes, drained and deep fried in oil.
- 1/2 cup cabbage, julienned
- 1/4 cup carrot, julienned
- 1/4 cup red capsicum, julienned
- 1/4 cup green capsicum, julienned
- 1/4 cup spring onion whites, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp spring onion greens, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato, julienned
- 2 tbsp szechwan sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil
- salt, to taste
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Chinese Bhel
- Immerse Hakka noodles in water for 20 minutes. Strain and spread on a plate. Deep fry them in oil till crisp. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or thick bottomed kadhai. Add chopped spring onion whites, chopped garlic, and chopped green chili. Saute till onion turns pinkish.
- Add all the veggies. Stir cook on a high flame for 3-4 minutes. Add szechwan sauce and salt. Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes further. By this time, the veggies get cooked and are still crunchy.
- Pour tomato sauce, soy sauce, and vinegar. Mix well.
- Add fried noodles. Toss continuously to blend the noodles with the veggie-sauce mix. This may take about a minute.
- Turn off the fire. Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves and spring onion greens. Gently mix once.
- Enjoy eating this crispy and tangy Chinese bhel!