Healthy Snacks: Homemade French Fries Recipe
Home made French fries(spicy)
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 20 min
Ready in: 30 min
Yields: Two bowls of French fries
- 3 potatoes, large size
- 1/4 tsp vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 tsp corn syrup or corn flour
- 1/2 tsp salt, for soaking potato sticks
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder, optional, as per taste
- 1/4 tsp salt, for the fries
- oil, for deep frying
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making French Fries
- Peel the skin of potatoes. Cut them in the shape of thick sticks. The thickness can be about 1/2 cm on all sides, and the length of the sticks can be about 4 cm.
- Immerse them in salt water for about 5 minutes. Drain the water. Collect the sticks in a colander. Potatoes are now free of extra starch.
- Boil some water, just sufficient to immerse the sticks completely. Add vinegar or lemon juice and corn syrup or corn flour. Mix with the water. Immerse potato sticks in it. Keep for 10 minutes.
- Drain the water. Pat dry potato sticks using a kitchen towel. You can also dry them spreading under the fan. Collect the dry sticks in a bowl.
- Heat oil for deep frying. Drop a few pieces into the hot oil and fry for 2 minutes on high flame, occasionally turning them to ensure uniform frying. Don't overcrowd them. Now they are half fried. Put them on a paper towel. Repeat the procedure for all the potato sticks.
- Once the sticks are cool, collect them in a zip lock pouch. Freeze the pouch for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oil once again. Let the fire be maximum high. Drop a few sticks into the oil. Fry till they turn golden. Remove on an absorbent paper. Repeat the procedure. Store the remaining sticks in the freezer. You can use them whenever you feel like eating French fries.
- Sprinkle powder salt on the hot sticks. If you want the fries to be spicy, sprinkle some red chili powder and gently coat them.
- Yummy French fries are ready to eat. Eat them hot with tomato sauce. Enjoy!
Click thumbnail to view full-size
potato sticks immersed in salt water to remove excess starch
potato sticks immersed in boiling water, added with vinegar or lemon juice and corn syrup or corn flour
Half fried potato sticks collected in a zip lock pouch, ready to keep in the freezer
Frying the sticks second time
Hot and spicy French fries
Some Important Information About French Fries
- Soaking the sticks in salt water removes the excess starch from potato sticks.
- Soaking in lemon juice or vinegar gives them fresh color. Corn syrup gives a mild sweetness, and corn flour gives stiffness to the sticks.
- Though the procedure looks lengthy, it is worth doing it. Once you half fry the sticks and store them in the freezer, your work is done. Each time you have to just fry the sticks and sprinkle some salt and chili powder on it. It takes hardly a few minutes.
Nutritional Information of French Fries
|Serving size: 100 g |
|Calories ||270 |
|Calories from Fat||90|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 10 g||15%|
|Carbohydrates 38 g||13%|
|Protein 4 g||8%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change
depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been
professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Home made French fries(salty)