Cooking is one of my passions. I like to make nutritious and tasty foods at home.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- 3 large potatoes
- 1/4 tsp vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 tsp corn syrup or corn flour
- 1/2 tsp salt, for soaking potato sticks
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder (optional)
- 1/4 tsp salt, for the fries
- oil, for deep-frying
- Peel the potatoes to remove the skins. Cut them in the shape of thick sticks. The thickness should be about 1/2 cm on all sides, and the length of the sticks should be about 4 cm.
- Immerse the cut potatoes in saltwater for about 5 minutes. Drain the water. Collect the potatoes in a colander. Potatoes are now free of extra starch.
- Boil some water, just enough to immerse the potatoes completely. Add vinegar or lemon juice and corn syrup or cornflour. Mix well. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Drain the water. Pat-dry the potatoes using a kitchen towel. Alternatively, you can dry them by spreading them under the fan. Collect the potatoes in a bowl.
- Heat oil for deep-frying. Drop a few potatoes into the hot oil and fry for 2 minutes on the high flame while occasionally turning them to ensure uniform frying. Don't overcrowd them. Now they are half-fried. Put them on a paper towel. Repeat the procedure with the remaining potatoes.
- Once the potatoes have cooled, collect them in a ziplock pouch. Freeze the pouch for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oil once again. Let the flame be maximum high. Drop a few potatoes into the hot oil. Fry them until they become golden brown. Transfer them to an absorbent paper. Repeat the procedure with the remaining potatoes. You can store any extra cut potatoes in a freezer. You can use them whenever you feel like eating French fries.
- Sprinkle powder salt on the hot French fries. If you want them to be spicy, sprinkle some red chili powder and gently toss.
- Yummy French fries are ready to eat. Eat them hot with tomato sauce. Enjoy!
Important Information About French Fries
- Soaking the cut potatoes in salt water removes the excess starch.
- Soaking in lemon juice or vinegar gives them fresh color. Corn syrup gives a mild sweetness, and corn flour gives stiffness to the fries.
- Though the procedure looks lengthy, it is worth doing it. Once you half-fry the fries and store them in the freezer, your work is done. Each time you have to just fry the potatoes and sprinkle some salt and chili powder on it. It takes only a few minutes.
© 2017 ShailaSheshadri