Healthy Snacks: Semolina (Cream of Wheat) Crepe Recipe
Normally, we cook this crepe for breakfast or as an evening snack. For this crepe, only a few ingredients are needed and most of them are probably on your kitchen shelf already.
Making the batter and the crepe are simple tasks and take hardly a few minutes. The added advantage is that fermentation of the batter is not required.
These crepes taste awesome with coconut chutney or with peanut chutney. Don't forget to eat them hot. Otherwise, the crepe loses its crispiness.
- 1 1/2 heaped cups semolina(cream of wheat), or wheat rava
- 1 1/2 cups rice flour
- 4 tsp plain flour/all purpose flour
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 15 no curry leaves, finely chopped
- 1 heaped cup curd
- 4 tbsp coriander/cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt to taste
- oil or ghee or butter, for making the crepe
Step-By-Step Images and Instructions
- Take semolina, rice flour, plain flour, chopped onion, cumin seeds, chopped cilantro, chopped curry leaves, and salt in a mixing bowl. Pour curds on it. Mix well. Make a batter of flowing consistency by adding water to it.
- Heat a pan and grease it with oil or butter. A non-stick pan is preferred to make this crepe. Let the fire be high. Mix the batter once again. Note that you have to mix the batter while making each crepe. Because semolina has a tendency to settle down in the bottom of the batter.
- Pour the batter into the hot pan, starting from the edges and extending towards the center. See that batter is poured only once in the pan and has an even surface. After pouring the batter, adjust the fire to medium high. Sprinkle a few drops of oil on the surface. No need to cover the pan. After two minutes, you will see that the bottom of the crepe gets a golden color and becomes crispy.
- Fold the crepe in half. Remove on a serving plate. Serve hot Semolina(Cream of Wheat) crepe with coconut chutney or with peanut chutney. Enjoy eating the crunchy Semolina crepes!!
How to make Coconut Chutney:
- Take half a cup grated coconut, 2 green chilies, a small piece ginger, 2 cloves of garlic, one teaspoon lemon juice or tamarind juice, a pinch sugar and half a teaspoon salt in a grinder.
- Grind adding water to get a near smooth chutney.
- Tempering: Tempering enhances the taste of the chutney. Heat a teaspoon oil/butter in a small hand pan. Let the fire be medium low. Throw a few mustard seeds into it. Let it crackle. Add half a teaspoon split black gram and 3-4 curry leaves to it. Transfer the tempering on the chutney when the split black gram turns golden.
- Mix the tempering with the chutney at the time of serving.
Semolina Crepe: Nutritional Information
|Serving size: 1 crepe|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 13 g||4%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 66 mg||3%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|