Jan has been cooking and writing about food for over 20 years. She has cooked on multiple television stations, including the Food Network.
I love beans for their nutrition and low cost—how can that not be a winner? Black beans top our list of favorites, and this homemade black bean soup recipe is always a hit with the kids.
I also love that it's low-fat, high in fiber, and loaded with a colorful array of fresh vegetables. The kids just love the taste and don't think about the nutrition, but I do!
Keep canned black beans, tomatoes, and chicken broth in your pantry, and you can have dinner on in half an hour. It's even better the next day, so make enough for leftovers. We love this served with rice, which also makes it complete in amino acids —nothing not to love about this dish!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 4 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans diced tomatoes, with the juices
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- sour cream for serving (optional)
- In a large soup pot over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Saute the onions, carrots, bell pepper, and garlic for about ten minutes, or until fragrant and softened.
- Add the spices and stir well. Let the spices cook with the vegetables for a couple of minutes. This helps wake them up and intensifies their flavors.
- Stir in the beans, tomatoes with their juices and the chicken broth. Homemade is great if you have it, but don't worry about it—I use canned all the time.
- Bring soup up to a simmer and allow it to simmer for about 20 minutes, uncovered. Serve hot with whatever toppings you like!
Quick Video Tutorial
How to Make Homemade Chicken Broth
© 2017 Jan Charles
Thelma Alberts from Germany and Philippines on December 11, 2017:
This sounds yummy. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Susan Zutautas from Ontario, Canada on December 11, 2017:
Oh wow I love black beans and will try your soup soon.