Hearty, Low-Fat, Flavorful Vegetable Soup
A gift From My Kitchen to Yours
This is a hearty soup that I first made for my family a few years ago. It was an instant hit, and I am asked to make it often. Your family will never know that this is a low-fat, healthy dish.
Serve it with crackers, corn bread, or fresh-baked specialty bread from the bakery.
- 1lb Ground Hamburger 93% lean or Ground Turkey or no meat at all, Meat browned and separated in small pieces
- 1, 32 oz. carton Swanson Beef Broth sodium reduced, Use less broth when not adding meat.
- 1/2 large pkg Frozen mixed vegetables with potatoes and ocra
- 1 28 oz can Diced Tomatoes, Regular not Italian
- 1 TBS Sugar
- 1 Large Sweet Onion
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Brown beef or Turkey in a skillet until the meat turns, beef gray or Turkey white and is no longer pink. As you are browning the meat chopped it up into small pieces with a spatula. Drain hamburger when done to remove all the grease if there is any.
- In a heavy pot, on top of the stove at medium heat, add the hamburger or turkey all the vegetables, tomatoes, beef broth and sugar. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- When liquid comes to a boil turn it down to a low simmering boil. Soup is ready when the potatoes are done. This is a thicker soup but if you want more liquid, add more beef broth.
- You may substitute turkey for the beef and it will taste good as long as you brown the turkey and separate it the same as the hamburger. You may add a little Olive oil to cook the turkey. If you cannot find a bag of vegetables with potatoes and ocra, use a bag of frozen soup mixed vegetables and add 1/2 cup of frozen ocra and a 1 cup of diced potatoes approximately the same size as the ocra. Ocra adds flavor to this soup so I would not leave it out of the recipe.