How To Make Moong (Green Gram Sprouts ) and Kale Chane (Black Gram Sprouts): Easy Steps With Sprouts Recipes!
How To Make Healthy Hari Moong/ Green Gram And Kala Chana/ Black Gram Sprouts
© Chitrangada Sharan Sept. 2012
All Rights Reserved
- Sprouting is the process of germinating seeds, beans and even whole cereals such as wheat.
- It can be consumed either raw or cooked---preferably raw, in the form of salad or in a sandwich.
- The health experts have time and again recommended this for its several health benefits.
- It is said to contain high fibre, vitamins, proteins and minerals. which have a very positive impact on our metabolic activities.
- It is especially recommended to those, who want to reduce weight and prefer a low calorie diet.
- Since it is consumed mostly raw, cleanliness is very important.
You can make healthy sprouts at home!
It is highly recommended by Nutritionists to include Sprouts in your daily diet, especially breakfast.
Though easily available in stores and markets, it is a good and healthy idea to make them yourself at home. Here is how------
Step by step instructions:
1. Take 2 cups of green gram/' hari moong (in Hindi)' and 2 cups of black gram/ kale chane (in Hindi) separately.
2. Wash them thoroughly 3 to 4 times in clean water, to remove dust or any other unwanted ingredient from them.
3. Soak and cover them in clean water and leave them overnight. The container, in which you soak the pulses should also be cleaned properly.
4. Next morning you will find the pulses have swollen up.
5. Take two pieces of clean muslin cloth and soak in clean water. Squeeze excess water. Spread and transfer the swollen grams separately on to the cloth and tie them.
6. Keep in a container at room temperature and cover with lid. The container should be such that water does not stagnate at the bottom. The muslin cloth should remain damp. If it dries up sprinkle some water to make it damp again.
7. The sprouts start coming within 5 to 6 hours. If you want longer sprouts, keep for a longer time. In warm season, the sprouts come faster compared to the cold season.
8. Once germinated, the sprouts can be preserved in a container in the refrigerator. They can last for 4 to 5 days comfortably.
Do you include sprouts everyday in your diet?
Other useful hubs by Chitrangada Sharan
- Soyabean: The Wonderful Source Of Protein, Health Be...
If you are a Vegetarian and always thinking of increasing your Protein intake, this article is for you. Soyabean is very high in Protein content required for growth, energy and other multiple benefits.
- What Are Antioxidants? : Why Are They Essential?
Antioxidant are those vital nutrients usually termed as Vitamins and Minerals, which protect our body's cells from wear and tear and repairs them. They are found in abundance in natural food items.
Health Benefits Of Nutritious Sprouts:
The Health Benefits of Sprouts:
1. According to nutritionists and health experts, the sprouts are a powerful source of Anti oxidants, that is vitamins, minerals, enzymes etc. needed to prevent cell damage by the body.
2. Raw foods contain ample amount of oxygen, which is valuable for your body.
3. It is very essential to include roughage in your daily diet and this provides a good source.
4. The sprouts also have good amount of B group of vitamins and vitamin C.
5. It is also helpful to women with the onset of Menopause, as it eases symptoms like hot flushes.
Some Precautions to be followed:
1. The pulses must be washed carefully, because they are mostly consumed in raw form.
Any kind of toxins or dust should be washed away completely.
That is why making sprouts at home is safe compared to buying from the stores, because you can take all the care, which may not be possible, where large scale germination process is done.
2. The water used for soaking etc. should be clean because that enters the grams.
3. Some people are unable to digest raw food. So you can steam or boil them lightly.
Having a bowl of sprouted green or black gram in the breakfast keeps you active throughout the day.
It can also be used for evening snack.
Do you make sprouts at home?
Easy And Healthy Moong-Chana Sprouts recipe:
1. Raw Sprout Chaat --
Mix a handful of green gram(moong) / black gram (chana) / other sprouts along with finely chopped, onion, tomato, finely cut green coriander leaves, a pinch of salt and few drops of lime juice.
Toss it and enjoy a healthy snack in the morning. You can add finely cut green chillies if you like it hot.
2. Boiled Sprout Chaat --
You may boil the green gram/ black gram sprouts, if you do not like them raw. But boil only till they are tender. Do not over boil as it will destroy its nutrients.
Add finely cut onion, tomato, cucumber, green chilly and green coriander.
3. Sprout Soup--
Take one cup of green gram sprouts, two cups water, pinch of salt and half teaspoon finely grated ginger.
Cook for five minutes on medium heat in a heavy bottomed pan. Let it cool a little.
Mash it with the back of a spoon or blend lightly with a hand blender.
Heat it again for few moments and serve warm. You may add pepper powder and butter if you desire.
4. Sprout cutlets--
You can grind sprouts into a paste. Add finely cut onion, garlic, ginger, green chillies, few drops lemon juice, salt to taste. Flatten into round shape on your palm and shallow fry them in a flat pan on medium heat.
If you don't want to fry you can also grill them in oven. Serve hot.
5. Stuffed Sprout paratha/ rolls"--
Boil some sprouts until they are tender. Grind them in a food processor. Mix some salt, grated ginger, one teaspoonful aniseed and finely chopped green coriander leaves.
Knead some soft whole wheat dough. Divide them into small balls. Fill in one teaspoonful of the sprouts mixture and carefully seal the edges. Flatten on your palm and then carefully roll them onto a rolling board.
Cook on both sides on a medium hot flat pan. Apply butter if you like. Serve hot.
Use your imagination to create many more nutritious recipes with sprouts.
© Chitrangada Sharan 29th Sept. 2012
All Rights Reserved.
PROTECTED: PLEASE DO NOT COPY!
Other Related Hubs By Chitrangada Sharan
- Flax Seeds: The Health Benefits And Easy Recipes In ...
Recently my friend's husband was advised by the Nutritionist to include Flax seeds in his daily diet as he had reduced level of HDL. Sharing the health benefits of Flaxseeds as told by the Nutrition.
- Super Food Oats For Healthy Breakfast: 6 Oats Recipe...
Heart ailments are increasing everyday all over the world. Its important to watch what we are eating. Including healthy Oats in our diet, may be the first step towards a healthy Heart. See the recipes.
Sprouts salad, source: You tube
© 2012 Chitrangada Sharan