How to Make Beetroot Rice or Beetroot Pulao
Beetroot Rice or Beetroot Pulao
Colorful, Delightful, and Healthy Beetroot Pulao/Beetroot Rice
Beetroot is my favorite vegetable. There are many reasons for this. I like its' color, smell, texture, and mainly the health benefits it offers.
Beets are high in immune-boosting vitamin C, fiber, and essential minerals, such as manganese and potassium. They are considered good for the liver, kidneys, pancreas, and bones. They also have B vitamins and folate.
Beetroots promote brain health. They prevent cancer. They are useful as they lower blood pressure, hence protect your heart. They also fight against inflammation and help with easy bowel movements.
I made beetroot rice/pulao for brunch. You can easily use it for lunch or dinner. It is a complete meal if you serve it with cucumber-onion-yogurt raita. I made pulao and raita simultaneously. Both together took about 45 minutes to make. Try this healthy main course dish and reap the health benefits.
Now, let me share the detailed recipe for beetroot rice (pulao) with you.
- 1 1/4 cup Basmati rice or long grain rice, wash and soak in fresh water for 30 minutes.
- 1 1/4 cup beetroot, finely chopped, I cut them in vegetable chopper
- 1/4 cup green peas, fresh or frozen, optional
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 small green chilies, slit and cut lengthwise
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder, available in Indian stores
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, or use shahi jeera
- 1/4 tsp coriander powder
- 2 cloves
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or crushed
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- 1/4 inch ginger, minced or crushed
- 2-3 tsp oil, Instead, I used 1 tbsp ghee and 1 tbsp oil
- 3/4 tsp salt, or as per taste
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Beetroot Pulao/Beetroot Rice
- Wash Basmati rice. Soak in fresh water for 30 minutes. Next, drain the water.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker base or deep-based pot. Add cumin seeds, slit green chilies, cloves, and cinnamon stick. Saute till cumin sizzles.
- Throw in chopped onions. Saute them till they turn golden brown. Next, add crushed ginger and garlic. Instead, you can also use ginger-garlic paste.
- Saute for a few seconds or till you get a nice aroma from the spices. Throw in green peas. Add some salt. Stir-cook for a minute.
- Add coriander powder and garam masala powder. Saute for 10 seconds on low heat.
- Add chopped beetroot. Stir-cook for two minutes. Next, add rice. Continue stir-cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- Add about 3-3 1/2 cups of water. If you want the pulao to be dry, add 3 cups of water only. I wanted pulao to be moist. Hence used 3 1/2 cups of water.
- Add remaining salt. Mix well. Let the mix come to a gentle boil. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Now, cover the cooker. Place the weight. Increase the heat. Cook up to a whistle. Next, simmer for about 6 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Open the cooker lid when the entire pressure releases from the cooker naturally.
- Now, check for the taste. Add salt if needed. Gently mix the pulao once.
- Your favorite beetroot pulao is ready to serve! Serve it with a cucumber-onion-yogurt raita. I share here below a quick recipe of this side dish for you.
- Enjoy eating this yummy pulao with this crunchy side dish.
How to Make Cucumber-Onion-Yogurt Raita
Finely chop a small peeled cucumber, an onion, a green chili, a tomato, and some coriander leaves. Transfer these to a mixing bowl. Add a cup of moderate sour curd or yogurt. Throw in some salt. Mix well. This is cucumber-onion-yogurt raita.
This raita pairs well with all kinds of pulao.
Nutritional Information of Beetroot Rice/Beetroot Pulao
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 28 g||9%|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 4 g||8%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 10 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|