How to Make Bitter Gourd Stir-Fry
A Delicious Side Dish Packed With Nutrients
Bitter gourd is popularly known as a medicinal vegetable. People use it often for its health benefits. Bitter gourd is a delicious veggie that is slightly bitter. If you cook it in the right way, you can minimize its bitterness. You won't taste any bitterness in this stir-fry.
Bitter gourd is a known source of vitamin C, calcium, and dietary fiber. It is a miraculous, low-calorie vegetable. It may help lower blood sugar levels. It may improve respiratory health and possibly boost skin health. It may even help reduce the effects of hemorrhoids.
About Bitter Gourd Stir-Fry:
Immersing freshly cut bitter gourd slices in a mixture of salt and sour curd makes it less bitter. Next, you have to squeeze the water out and stir-fry the slices with some oil. Adding spices makes it very delicious.
Over to the detailed recipe.
- 2 bitter gourd, or 2 cups bitter gourd slices.
- 2 cups sour curd
- 2 onions, julienned
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds, optional
- 1/2 tsp sambar powder, rasam powder or red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt, or as required
- goose berry size tamarind, or 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 pinches asafoetida/hing powder
- 3-4 tbsp oil, I used coconut oil
- 1 tsp jaggery powder, or sugar
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Bitter Gourd Stir-Fry
- Wash bitter gourd. Slice them. Remove the seeds.
- Immerse it in sour curds. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Mix well. Set aside for 15-20 minutes.
- Squeeze out the water. Collect the slices.
- Heat some oil in a deep-bottomed pan, preferably a non-stick pan. Throw in mustard seeds. Let them crackle. Add cumin seeds. Add hing powder. Saute till cumin sizzles.
- Add onions. Stir-fry on a medium heat till it becomes dark golden brown. It may take about 5 minutes.
- Add bitter gourd. Add some more oil. Continue stir-cooking for 6-8 minutes. Now, bitter gourd shrinks a bit, losing its water content.
- Throw in turmeric powder, asafoetida/hing powder, sugar or jaggery, red chili powder, sambar powder, and some salt.
- Stir-cook on a very low heat, while occasionally sprinkling drops of oil. You have to continue cooking till the veggie gets cooked.
- Add tamarind water. Mix well. Once the moisture reduces completely, turn off the heat.
- Transfer the stir-fry to a serving dish. Your favorite bitter gourd stir-fry is ready to serve.
- Use it as a side dish along with other accompaniments and main course.
- Serve about 2 table spoons of it per person. This will be tasty and not so bitter. Enjoy the meals!
Nutritional Information of Bitter Gourd Stir-Fry
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 22 g||7%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 68 mg||3%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|