How to Make Black-Eyed Bean Salad
An Overview of Making This Easy and Healthy Salad
Cooked black-eyed beans are a good source of dietary fiber and protein. They are delicious too.
For making this salad, the first step is to make the tempering of mustard seeds, hing/asafetida, and curry leaves. In the next step, you have to sauté chopped onion, ginger, and chopped green chilies. In the third, you have to combine cooked black-eyed beans with the sautéed onion, green chilies, grated coconut, a bit of jaggery or sugar, chopped coriander leaves, lemon juice, and salt. You have to mix them well.
Your black-eyed bean salad is ready! Serve 2–3 tablespoons of this hot salad in a small bowl.
- 1 big cup black-eyed beans, soaked in water for an hour
- 1/6 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 2-3 green chilies, chopped lengthwise
- 1/4 inch ginger, finely chopped or grated
- 1 tsp jaggery powder or sugar, or as per taste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder, optional, I used
- 1 1/2 tsp oil, for the tempering
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, for the tempering
- 8 curry leaves, for the tempering
- 1/6 tsp hing/asafetida powder, for the tempering
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp de husked split black lentil, for the tempering
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Black-Eyed Bean Salad:
- Soak the beans in water for one hour. Add some salt and just enough water to immerse the beans completely. Cook it in a pressure cooker up to 1 whistle and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off the fire. Take out the container when the pressure releases completely. Keep aside.
- Alternatively, you can cook them in a pot, adding sufficient water. But, this takes more time than cooking in the pressure cooker.
- Heat the oil in a pan or wok. Throw mustard seeds into it. Let them crackle. Add split black lentil, hing powder, and curry leaves. Saute till black lentils turn honey color.
- Throw chopped onion and grated ginger into the pan. Saute them till onion turns transparent and is still crunchy.
- Add cooked beans. Add turmeric powder, jaggery powder or sugar, and salt. Mix well. Keep the fire low. Cook for one minute or till the water evaporates from the lentil mix. Turn off the fire.
- Add grated coconut and chopped coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Black-eyed bean salad is ready to serve. Eat 2–3 tablespoons worth of salad in a small bowl. Happy eating!
A Thing to Remember
You have already added salt while cooking the beans. Hence, add less salt to the salad in the first instance. Check for salt. You can add more salt if needed.
Nutritional Information of Cooked Black-Eyed Beans Salad
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||36|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 4 g||6%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 14 g||5%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 4 g||8%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 350 mg||15%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
© 2017 ShailaSheshadri