How to Make Bottle Gourd Masala Curry or Lauki Subji
Bottle Gourd Masala Curry or Lauki Subji
A Tasty Bottle Gourd Curry in 30 Minutes!
Eating bottle gourd has many health benefits. This vegetable is mostly made of water, so eating it can help reduce your weight. They don't have that many calories. Their fat and cholesterol content are negligible.
Bottle gourd tastes naturally bland. Cooking it with spices makes it delicious. The curry recipe I show here is made of spicy dry masala. I used a portion of the bottle gourd to make the curry enough for four people. I served roti with this awesome curry.
Here's the recipe for making bottle gourd masala curry.
- 1 big bowl bottle gourd, chopped into 1 cm cubes
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 small green chilies
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup tomato, chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder, available in Indian stores
- 1/4 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 pinches turmeric powder
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Bottle Gourd Masala Curry or Lauki Subji
- Finely crush ginger, garlic, and green chilies together. I used mortar and pestle to do this. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in cumin seeds. Saute till they sizzle. Add ginger-garlic-green chili paste. Saute on a low fire for 30 seconds.
- Throw in chopped onions. Saute till they become translucent. Add chopped tomatoes. Saute till they become soft, not mushy.
- Add bottle gourd cubes. Throw in some salt. Mix well. Stir-cook for 3-4 minutes. Add one cup water. Cover the pan and cook for 6-7 minutes. By this time, bottle gourd becomes tender ; the mix turns almost dry.
- Add red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, sugar, and turmeric powder. Stir-cook for two minutes. Add half a cup of water. Mix well.
- Simmer, and cook for two more minutes. Adjust salt as per your taste. Throw in chopped coriander leaves. Stir it once. Turn off the stove.
- Bottle gourd masala curry is ready to serve. Serve this side dish with roti, chapati, or flatbread. Enjoy the taste!
Nutritional Information of Bottle Gourd Masala Curry
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||45|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 5 g||8%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 12 g||4%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 118 mg||5%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|