How to Make Bottle Gourd Curry With Yogurt
A Mildly-Spiced Bottle Gourd Curry With Yogurt to Pair Steamed Rice
Bottle gourd is a vegetable with many health benefits. It is a rich source of vitamin C, vitamin K, and calcium. It helps to lower your cholesterol level and maintain a healthy heart. People with diabetes drink its juice to maintain proper blood sugar levels in the body. This juice is also helpful to maintain optimum blood pressure.
This veggie is high in water content. Hence, it has a cooling effect on the body. It promotes weight loss, helps digestion, and treats constipation. It is mildly sweet and has no smell.
Making this bottle gourd yogurt curry is very easy. Tomatoes, yogurt, and spices are the other ingredients used here. I made this curry in about 25 minutes. Eating cooked rice with this curry was delicious. It was an awesome meal altogether.
Now, let us learn in detail how to make this bottle gourd yogurt curry.
- 1 big bowl bottle gourd cubes, peel bottle gourd, cut them in cubes.
- 2 tomatoes, cubed
- 1 cup yogurt or curd, moderate sour
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds, for the tempering
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds, for the tempering
- 1 tbsp ghee or oil, for the tempering, use coconut oil for nice flavor
- 1 dry red chili, for the tempering
- 8 curry leaves, for the tempering
- a pinch hing powder, optional, for the tempering, gives good flavor
- 1/2 tsp salt, or as per taste
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Bottle Gourd Curry With Yogurt
- Wash bottle gourd. Make big cubes.
- Add them to a saucepan or a deep-bottomed pan. Pour some water on them. Throw in some turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Heat the pan. Let the mixture boil. Cover and cook on a low heat for 5 minutes. Stir it occasionally.
- Now, add chopped tomatoes. Mix well. Cook for another 5-6 minutes or until the tomatoes are cooked right and not mushy. Lower the heat.
- Add beaten curd or yogurt. Add remaining salt. Cook the mix till it gets a nice boil. Turn off the heat.
- By this time, both bottle gourd and tomatoes would have cooked right.
- Now, you have to add a tempering. For that, heat some ghee or oil in a small pan. Use coconut oil for nice aroma.
- Throw in mustard seeds. Let them pop up. Add cumin seeds. Make them sizzle. Add curry leaves, whole dry red chili, and hing powder. Turn off the heat. Mix well.
- Pour this over the curry. Mix well. Your favorite bottle gourd yogurt curry is now ready!
- Serve this curry as a side dish for cooked rice. This mild-spicy curry can be eaten as is with any type of main course. Enjoy eating!
Nutritional Information of Bottle Gourd Curry With Yogurt
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 8 g||3%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 32 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|