How to Make Cabbage Masala (Spicy Cabbage Curry)
Cabbage Masala or Spicy Cabbage Curry
Why Cabbage Masala or Spicy Cabbage Curry is My Favorite?
Anyone who knows how healthy and delicious cabbages are will want to eat them all the time. Cabbage has abundant dietary fiber, folates, copper content, vitamins, and proteins. When cooked with other vegetable and spice combinations, these dishes come out wonderful and appetizing.
Here, I made cabbage and mung dal (moong dal) spicy curry that is very healthy and delicious. You can use this side dish for plain rice, flat breads, rotis, chapatis, pancakes, etc. This yummy curry has the goodness of both cabbage and moong dal (de-husked split green gram).
Let's learn how to make cabbage and yellow lentil (moong dal) curry.
- 1 heaped bowl cabbage, diced or chopped
- 1/2 cup onions, diced
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, cubed
- 1/2 cup moong dal or de-husked split mung dal, soaked in water for 10 minutes
- 2 green chilies, slit lengthwise and cut
- 1/4 tsp or more red chili powder
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp split bengal gram or chana dal
- 1/4 tsp white lentils or urad dal
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 6-8 curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp sugar, to balance the sourness
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1/3 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Cabbage Masala or Spicy Cabbage Curry:
- Soak moong dal or split mung dal in water for 10 minutes. Strain them. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in mustard seeds, cumin seeds, split chickpea, white lentils, and curry leaves. Saute on low till mustard splutters. The lentils should also be golden by then.
- Add diced onions and slit green chilies. Continue sauteing till onions become transparent and pinkish.
- Now, add chopped tomatoes. Stir-cook for a while or till tomatoes become soft and not mushy.
- Throw in chopped cabbage. Add salt and turmeric powder. Mix well. Stir-cook for 3-4 minutes. Add soaked de-husked split mung dal (moong dal). Continue stir-cooking till the mix becomes a bit dry.
- Add some water. Mix well. Cover the pan and cook on low fire till the veggies and lentils are cooked. This step may take about 7-8 minutes.
- Open the lid. Add red chili powder, sugar, and remaining salt. Throw in half portion of the chopped coriander leaves. Nicely mix the contents. Saute for 2 minutes. Turn off the fire.
- Transfer the curry into a serving bowl. Garnish with the remaining chopped coriander leaves.
- Spicy cabbage curry or cabbage masala is ready to serve! Use it as a side dish for flat breads, plain rice, rotis, pancakes, etc. Enjoy the taste of crunchy cabbage.
Nutritional Information of Cabbage Masala Curry
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 0 g|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 32 g||11%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 10 g||40%|
|Protein 8 g||16%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|