How to Make Cauliflower and Red Lentil Curry
Cauliflower and Red Lentils Curry
A Healthy and Appetizing Lentil and Veggie Side Dish!
I was just planning to make a side dish that contains both lentils and veggies. I was searching for such a curry on the web. Suddenly, I came across this recipe.
Looking at the ingredients, I was sure that this curry was going to be awesome. I made some changes here and there, just to suit to my tastes. It took about an hour to make this creamy and colorful side dish. I felt it was worth the effort after imagining the health benefits of this curry. My family members liked this curry served for lunch, accompanied with flat breads and plain rice.
You can serve this side dish for fried rice, chapati, roti, poori, and pancakes too.
Now, let me share the detailed recipe.
- 2 cups cauliflower florets, cut into cubes
- 2/3 cup red lentils or masoor dal
- 1/2 cup onions, cut into cubes
- 2/3 cup tomatoes, cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 inch ginger, finely chopped
- 4-5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 3/4 tsp garam masala powder or spice powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Cauliflower and Red Lentil Curry:
- Wash red lentils. Put them in a container. Add water and chopped onions. Cook this mix in a pressure cooker up to a whistle, and simmer for 10 minutes. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in cumin seeds. Saute till they sizzle. Add chopped ginger and garlic. Saute till they get golden brown color.
- Immerse cauliflower florets in lukewarm salt water for 10 minutes. This is to get rid of anything nasty in or on the florets. Wash them once again. Make cubes.
- Add them to the pan. Throw some turmeric powder into it. Continue sauteing on a medium flame for 4-5 minutes. Throw in chopped tomatoes.
- Stir-cook till tomatoes become soft, not mushy. Pour the boiled red lentil-onion mix.
- Boil the mix for a minute. Add red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder (spice mix), and salt. Stir them and boil for 2 minutes.
- Add finely chopped coriander leaves. Mix well. Turn off the stove. Transfer the curry into a serving dish. Garnish with a few chopped coriander leaves.
- Dunk rotis or pancakes into this hot & spicy side dish and enjoy eating!
Nutritional Information of Cauliflower and Red Lentil Curry:
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||9|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 1 g||2%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 11 g||4%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 4 g||16%|
|Protein 4 g||8%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 172 mg||7%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|