My passion for cooking leads me to travel to different places, eat authentic local dishes, and inspire everybody to enjoy their lives!
Water spinach (also known as Chinese watercress) is one of the most affordable leafy greens. It's a great source of vitamins and minerals that help maintain healthy skin. These are the reasons why I really enjoy eating water spinach. Learn how I transform simple water spinach into a very appetizing side dish called crispy water spinach (English) or crispy kangkong (Filipino) that is commonly served in Chinese restaurant.
- 30 pieces kangkong leaves, large
- Crispy batter (see below)
- Spicy soy-vinegar dip (see below)
- Cooking oil, for frying
Ingredients for Crispy Batter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 + 1/8 cup water
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Ingredients for Spicy Soy-Vinegar Dip
- 1/8 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon chili garlic oil
For preparing the crispy batter:
- 1 large bowl
- 2 medium bowls
- 4 small bowls
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
Read More From Delishably
For frying the dish:
- Frying pan
- Slotted spatula
- Strainer (optional)
- Bowl (optional)
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- Rinse water spinach leaves with clean water. Allow leaves to dry a bit. Set aside.
- Prepare the batter recipe.
- Heat cooking oil in a frying pan.
- Coat the entire leaves with the batter.
- Deep fry until golden brown.
- Line plate with paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Serve with the spicy soy-vinegar dip.
Tips and Techniques
- Use cold water when washing leafy greens to maintain their freshness.
- Wash the water spinach thoroughly to get rid of all the dirt.
- Drain excess oil using a kitchen towel or paper bag.
- Leave them uncovered after frying to maintain its crunchiness.
- Cook this minutes before eating a meal, as it's crispier when freshly cooked.
- Serve with your favorite dip. My favorite is spicy-soy vinegar dip (see recipe above).
Another Water Spinach Recipe
- How to Make Sausage and Water Spinach in Chili Garlic Oil
Do you want to prepare something healthy but within a budget? This recipe for sausage and water spinach in chili garlic oil fits the bill. Try it for yourself!
© 2018 Travel Chef