How to Make Crispy Water Spinach With Spicy Soy-Vinegar Dip
Water spinach (also known as Chinese watercress) is one of the most affordable leafy greens. It's a great source of vitamins and minerals that help maintain healthy skin. These are the reasons why I really enjoy eating water spinach. Learn how I transform simple water spinach into a very appetizing side dish.
- 30 pieces kangkong leaves, large
- Crispy batter (see below)
- Spicy soy-vinegar dip (see below)
- Cooking oil, for frying
Ingredients for Crispy Batter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 + 1/8 cup water
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Ingredients for Spicy Soy-Vinegar Dip
- 1/8 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon chili garlic oil
For Preparing the Crispy Batter:
- 1 Large Bowl
- 2 Medium Bowls
- 4 Small Bowls
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
For Frying the Dish:
- Frying Pan
- Slotted Spatula
- Strainer (optional)
- Bowl (optional)
- Rinse water spinach leaves with clean water. Allow leaves to dry a bit. Set aside.
- Prepare the batter recipe.
- Heat cooking oil in a frying pan.
- Coat the entire leaves with the batter.
- Deep fry until golden brown.
- Line plate with paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Serve with the spicy soy-vinegar dip.
Tips and Techniques
- Use cold water when washing leafy greens to maintain their freshness.
- Wash the water spinach thoroughly to get rid of all the dirt.
- Drain excess oil using kitchen towel or paper bag.
- Leave them uncovered after frying to maintain its crunchiness.
- Cook this minutes before eating a meal, as it's crispier when freshly cooked.
More Recipes With Water Spinach
- How to Make Sausage and Water Spinach in Chili Garlic Oil
Do you want to prepare something healthy but within a budget? This recipe for sausage and water spinach in chili garlic oil fits the bill. Try it for yourself!
- How to Make Water Spinach With Shrimp Paste: A Chinese-Inspired Side Dish
Level up the quality of your meal by serving a healthy appetizer made with water spinach, shrimp paste, and crispy fried garlic bits. Let me share this simple and affordable Chinese-inspired recipe with you!
© 2018 Travel Chef