I love making Italian dishes and I enjoy giving tips on how to make them.
Melanzane alla parmigiana is a classic Italian dish that has fried eggplant slices covered with tomato sauce and cheese, then baked. Here is a recipe on how to make this classic dish.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 20 min
- 1 kg aubergine (eggplant), sliced
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 potatoes, sliced
- 750 grams tomato paste
- 300 grams mozzarella, sliced
- 70 grams Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
- Basil leaves
- Black Pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Wash aubergine and cut off the tops. Cut vertically into 1/2-cm slices.
- Warm oil in a pan. Fry the sliced aubergine.
- Take two onions and dice them.
- Cut potatoes horizontally and fry them (optional).
- Add some oil to a pot. Add the onions and fry. Once the onions are light brown, add tomato paste, oregano, basil leaves, black pepper, and salt. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes. Once all the tastes are mixed in the sauce, turn off the flame.
- In an oven-safe dish, lay the first layer of potatoes (optional). Next, add a layer of aubergine, then sauce, then mozzarella. Repeat the layers until you've run out of ingredients.
- Bake for about 20 minutes at 200 degrees.
Liza from USA on November 09, 2019:
This dish reminds me when I was a student in Italy, an Italian lady (Signora) cooked this dish for me. Thanks for sharing the recipe!