How to Make Potato Raita (Potato Yogurt Curry)
Potato Raita or Potato Yogurt Curry
A Silky, Yogurt-Based, Comfort Side Dish!
The Potato is a staple dietary item for many. Boiled potatoes are soft, silky, and aromatic. They blend very well with curds to make this yummy side dish. This raita is mildly spicy and very appetizing.
Potatoes are one of the most common food sources on the planet that has a wealth of health benefits. They have significant amounts of fiber, which helps to reduce cholesterol in the blood and in turn, reduces the risk of heart disease. It is a no-fat no-sodium vegetable. It is a good source of vitamin C, vitamin B6, magnesium, antioxidants, and potassium. It is low in calories too.
Making this potato raita is very easy. Once you boil the potatoes, it takes hardly ten minutes to finish making this side dish. To start with, you have to mash the potatoes with curds, green chilies, salt, and hing powder. Next, you have to add finely chopped onions and chopped fresh coriander leaves. Mix well. Add some water to adjust the consistency.
Adding a tempering will enhance the taste of this raita. Serve it as a side dish with cooked rice or with any rice-based main course.
Now, let's find out in detail how to make potato raita.
- 2 medium sized potatoes, cooked, peeled, mashed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 green chilies, slit, cut lengthwise
- 2 pinches hing/asafoetida powder
- 2 cups curds/yogurt, preferably medium sour
- 1/2 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 6 curry leaves, for the tempering
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, for the tempering
- 1/2 tsp white lentils (urad dal), for the tempering
- 1/2 tsp ghee or oil, for the tempering
- 1 dry red chili, broken
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Potato Raita
- Boil potatoes till they are soft. I cooked them in a pressure cooker. Peel, mash them. Collect them in a large bowl.
- Add curds, hing powder, salt, and slit green chilies. Mix well. Add some water to adjust the consistency. This raita should be moderately thick.
- Add finely chopped onions and chopped coriander leaves. Once again, mix well.
- Now, your favorite potato raita is ready. Next, add a tempering to enhance the taste.
- For that, heat ghee or oil in a small pan. Add mustard seeds. Let them crackle. Throw in white lentils, broken red chili, and curry leaves.
- Saute until the lentils become a golden brown. Pour this tempering on the raita. Mix at the time of serving.
- Serve this awesome side dish with cooked rice or with any other rice main course. Enjoy the taste!
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||27|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 3 g||5%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 52 g||17%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 7 g||28%|
|Protein 16 g||32%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 28 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|