How to Make Punjabi Baingan Bharta (Spicy Eggplant Curry)
Punjabi Baingan Bharta (A Spicy Eggplant Curry)
A Tasty Curry to Pair With Roti
Roasted eggplant has an attractive smoky flavor. This curry is truly appetizing with its balanced spices and delicate flavor.
Eggplant has an excellent quantity of fiber, potassium, and folate. It has vitamin C, vitamin B 6, copper, thiamine, manganese, phosphorous, magnesium, etc. The unique taste of eggplants makes them a favorite veggie for making curries and other side dishes.
I have used roasted eggplants, chopped onions, tomatoes, minced ginger-garlic, and a few spice powders in this curry. This is a simple recipe that can easily be followed by anyone.
Now on to the detailed Punjabi baingan bharta recipe.
- 2 big eggplants, purple colored eggplants roasted on a stove top, skin removed, pulp separated
- 1/4 inch ginger, minced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 green chilies, slit, cut in long pieces
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup tomatoes, finely chopped
- gooseberry size tamarind, soaked in warm water, paste separated
- 1/4 tsp or less red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder, available in Indian stores
- 1/4 tsp coriander powder
- 2 pinches turmeric powder
- 2 pinches sugar, optional, to balance the taste
- 2-3 tsp oil
- 2-3 tbsp fresh green coriander, finely chopped, for garnishing
- 1/2 tsp salt, or as per taste
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Punjabi Baingan Bharta
- Thinly apply a little oil on the eggplants. Roast them open on the stovetop over medium heat. Turn them occasionally to ensure uniform cooking.
- Applying oil on the skin makes it easy to remove the skin after roasting. Once done, turn off the heat. Keep it aside for cooling.
- Next, remove the skin. Discard it. Take the pulp in a bowl. Mash it thoroughly, so that there are no lumps. Also, remove the extra fiber in it. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Add cumin seeds. Let them sizzle. Throw in chopped onions, minced ginger, garlic, and slit green chilies.
- Saute till onions turn transparent. Add chopped tomatoes. Add some salt. Continue stir-cooking until tomatoes become a bit mushy.
- Throw in coriander powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, red chili powder, tamarind paste, sugar, and remaining salt. Saute for 20 seconds.
- Add mashed eggplant pulp. Mix with the contents in the pan. Cook on low heat for a minute. If needed, add very little water to get the right thickness. Turn off the heat.
- Add finely chopped coriander leaves. Mix well. Your favorite Punjabi baingan bharta is ready to serve!
- Have hot roti, poori, naan, or any kind of flatbread with this spicy and delicious eggplant curry. Enjoy the taste!
Nutritional Information of Punjabi Baingan Bharta (Eggplant Curry)
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 16 g||5%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 4 g||16%|
|Protein 4 g||8%|
|Cholesterol 1 mg|
|Sodium 68 mg||3%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|