Cholee is a stay-at-home mom who enjoys creating family and budget-friendly recipes from scratch.
The perfect summer side dish can be yours in as little as 90 minutes. Learn how to make the best restaurant-quality coleslaw at home with this simple recipe. This dish pairs perfectly with barbecues, picnics, church potlucks, holidays, or any family gathering.
This "salad" has the perfect coleslaw taste and texture. It's creamy with a hint of sweetness and a nice tangy crunchy bite; you can't go wrong with this ideal blend of flavors. This coleslaw tastes like something you would get from a restaurant—you simply cannot go wrong with this recipe. I made this for Easter and didn’t have any to take back home with me. My family loves this coleslaw and often requests it for family holiday gatherings and barbeques.
|Prep time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 15 min
1 hour 15 min
Serves 15 to 20 people
- 2 bags store bought shredded coleslaw mix, (contains cabbage, red cabbage, and carrots)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 6 tbs oil
- 6 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- Combine the two bags of coleslaw in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, make the dressing: Combine the salt, vinegar, oil, mayonnaise, and sugar. Mix well.
- Toss dressing with coleslaw.
- Mix well and let coleslaw set in refrigerator for at least 1 hour. Serve cold.
For those who like onion, you can add 2 tbs of minced onions or up to a quarter of a cup of finely chopped raw onions. Mix the onions with the 2 bags of coleslaw before adding the dressing.
Two other flavors that pair well with coleslaw are pepper and lemon juice. If deciding to add these, I'd recommend using 1/8 tsp of pepper and 2 1/2 tbs of lemon juice. You can combine the pepper and lemon juice right into the dressing mixture to ensure that the flavors will get incorporated throughout the whole slaw.
For those who do not like or cannot have mayonnaise, you can substitute buttermilk and/or milk. The buttermilk adds a richer creamy taste with a bit of tang. If choosing to go this route use 1/3 cup mayonnaise and 1/4 cup buttermilk. If completely taking out the mayonnaise, you can use 1/4 cup of milk and 1/3 cup buttermilk.
5 Tips for Creating the Best Coleslaw
- Don't forget the salt and sugar! I like to use the pre-mixed bags of slaw, but if you are going to use heads of cabbage be sure to add a little extra salt and sugar to them and let them sit for awhile. This draws out any excess moisture and will keep your slaw crunchy longer. You could do this with the pre-mixed bags as well, but I have not found the bagged cabbage ever needed it.
- Don't grate your carrots: Grated carrots become a soggy wet mess. Rather than grating take the time to julienne your carrots or buy a julienne peeler. The carrots will stay crisp and firm and make a much better addition to your slaw.
- Get the ratio right: Always mix your dressing in a separate bowl and gradually add it to the cabbage. This ensures your coleslaw will not become too wet and soggy.
- Build on a great recipe: The recipe I provided above is a great way to do just this! The simple, yet tasty slaw above can be tailored to your families tastes in no time. Add extra veggies, some apples, or even a dash of other seasonings and you have a meal created by you, for you.
- Always chill your coleslaw: Chilling allows the flavors of the slaw to intensify and come together. A cold slaw will also help set the consistency of the dish. Always keep your coleslaw refrigerated until ready to eat.
This coleslaw can stay in the refrigerator for 42 to 72 hours and will keep well. However, you may not need to keep your coleslaw as it tends to be eaten quite quickly in my house. People love the sweet and tangy flavor of this coleslaw, which is very similar to what you would get from KFC.
Whether you are looking for a side dish or something to bring for a potluck, this recipe is the one you've been searching for. The ability to create this coleslaw without mayonnaise is great for those who prefer something less fatty or don't like the taste of mayonnaise. Miracle whip could also be substituted for mayonnaise, however the taste will be different. Miracle whip is sweeter and you could end up with a coleslaw that is too sweet. If using Miracle whip I would slowly add the sugar, because you cannot fix a too sweet slaw.
Ready in little over an hour, this coleslaw is just the ticket for a quick and easy dish. This can be made right before eating or making the day before and allowing it a full day to chill, although, it always tastes best the day it is made.
© 2012 Cholee Clay
Cholee Clay (author) from Wisconsin on October 02, 2012:
I've never thought to add mustard. Thanks for the tip Anthony Fry!:)
Anthony Fry on October 02, 2012:
For an outstanding Coleslaw, add 1 tble Spn of English Mustard to above Recipe Enjoy.
Cholee Clay (author) from Wisconsin on May 02, 2012:
You're welcome PurpleRaven! It definitely is simple and easily changed up if you prefer coleslaw without mayo.
PurpleRaven from Wisconsin on May 02, 2012:
coleslaw is one of my favorites! This is the time of year when I will be making it more often. I like this reciepe because its simply. Thanks.
Cholee Clay (author) from Wisconsin on April 18, 2012:
rjsadowski- It's super easy and only really takes 15 minutes to put together. Chilling it in the refrigerator is the longest process, but makes the coleslaw taste even better.
rebeccamealey-Hope you like the variation! The buttermilk brings a nice texture to the dish.
Rebecca Mealey from Northeastern Georgia, USA on April 18, 2012:
I am a cole slaw lover, and this sounds great. I want to try it with the buttermilk! Thanks for sharing this
rjsadowski on April 18, 2012:
Your recipe sounds tasty and easy to make.
Cholee Clay (author) from Wisconsin on April 17, 2012:
cebutouristspot- I hope you found some useful tips and ways to create a delicious coleslaw you can enjoy:) love the versatility of this dish.
cebutouristspot from Cebu on April 17, 2012:
Not a lot of people in my country eat this but am a sucker for it I love coleslaw. Thanks for this I now can improve my own recipe :)