I like to cook and eat natural, healthy, and tasty foods. I use minimal oil and don't use artificial colors or preservatives in my cooking.
Hot, Spicy, and Delicious
I always like to make mixed-vegetable dishes. They are versatile and delicious. I believe that they are more healthy due to the many nutrients packed in varieties of veggies used.
Veggie kolhapuri is a thick and spicy side dish that you can serve with flatbread, roti, chapati, or fried rice. This curry is a perfect combination of veggies and spices. It is a popular dish in Indian restaurants.
You can easily make a similar dish at home. Homemade dishes are better than the restaurant ones, as we cook them with less oil and fewer spices.
For this particular curry, you can use vegetables of your choice. Even the ingredients for the gravy is flexible here. It took me about 35 minutes to make this side dish for four people.
Here, I share the detailed veg kolhapuri recipe with you.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves four people
- 1 big bowl mixed vegetables, cubed, I used kohlrabi, French beans, carrots, capsicum
- 1/2 cup onions, roughly chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes, ripe, sour type, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 10 cashew nut pieces, optional, gives thickness and rich flavor to the gravy
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/4 inch ginger, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 inch cinnamon
- 4 dry red chilies, broken
- 2 tbsp fresh green coriander, finely chopped, for garnishing
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/4 tsp sugar, to balance the taste
- 1/2 tsp salt, or as per taste
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Restaurant-Style Veg Kolhapuri Curry
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw in cloves, cinnamon, ginger, garlic, coriander seeds, poppy seeds, broken red chilies, and cashew nuts.
- Saute on a low fire till they turn golden. Collect them in a mixer or blender.
- In the same pan, add onions. Saute till they become transparent.
- Throw in tomatoes. Continue sauteing till they become a little mushy. Transfer the contents to the same mixer jar.
- Add remaining oil to the pan. Throw in all the veggies. Add some salt. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add a cup of water. Cover the pan. Cook them until the veggies are soft yet retain crunchiness.
- In the meanwhile, add grated coconut to the mixer jar. Grind all the items together, adding some water to get a smooth sauce.
- Transfer it to the pan. Stir well. Keep the heat low. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Now, add a cup of water. Bring the mix to a nice boil. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- This curry should be thick. Add water to get the right consistency. Throw in remaining salt. Add sugar. Mix well.
- Turn off the heat. Garnish the curry with finely chopped fresh green coriander. Your favorite veg kolhapuri is now ready to serve!
- Serve this hot curry with flat breads, roti, fried rice, chapati, etc. Enjoy eating this delicious restaurant-style side dish.