I worked as a banker for 17 years. I love staying fit and cooking tasty and healthy meals. I don't use artificial colors and preservatives.
I used a shortcut method to make this easy and simple spicy vegetable pulao. You only have to follow a few steps to make this yummy dish.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves 4 people
- 3 medium size bowls cooked rice, (I used basmati rice, but you can use any other aromatic long grain rice.)
- a fistful fresh or frozen peas, (Instead, I used fresh hyacinth beans.)
- 1/4 cup carrot, diced
- 1/4 cup french beans, cut lengthwise into 1-centimeter pieces
- 1/4 cup cauliflower florets, diced to shape
- 1 cup julienned onion, deep fried in oil, for the pulao and for garnishing
- 3–4 garlic cloves, for the paste
- 1 inch ginger, cut in pieces, for the paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, for the paste
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds, for the paste
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder, for the paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kashmiri chili flakes or 4 chilies, for the paste
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander leaves, for the pulao and for garnishing
- 2 teaspoons ghee, for the pulao
- salt to taste
- Wash rice and soak in water for 20 minutes. Mix with hyacinth beans (if you are using). Add water and salt. Cook al dente. Keep aside for cooling.
- Put cumin seeds, coriander seeds, ginger, garlic, kashmiri red chili flakes or chilies, and garam masala powder in a mixer grinder or blender. Add half a glass of water and grind to get a smooth paste.
- Deep fry onion juliennes in oil. Collect on an absorbent paper towel.
- Par-boil carrot, cauliflower, and french beans together in just-sufficient water. This will reduce the cooking time in the future steps.
- Heat ghee in a deep-bottomed pan or kadhai. Pour ground paste into it. Sauté, stirring constantly, until it starts leaving ghee on the sides. It may take about 3–4 minutes on low heat.
- Add par-boiled vegetables. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add cooked rice and salt. Gently mix with the veggies and the masala. Cook on low heat for few seconds until the ingredients combine well. Turn off the heat.
- Add 3/4 portion of fried onions and chopped coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Spicy vegetable pulao is ready to eat. Serve hot pulao with a less spicy and yogurt-based raita or any side dish. Enjoy the taste!