Gabriel loves to cook all kinds of foods, from baking to a full roast dinner.
I adore roast potatoes. To be honest, I adore a roast Sunday dinner with all the tasty trimmings; however, I am a bit of an old fuss-pot, and my roast potatoes must be crisp on the outside while soft and fluffy on the inside. I want a golden crisp skin and a deliciously smooth, soft fluffy centre. I don't want a soggy oily excuse. I want the perfect roast potato and will admit to eating those little crispy bits in the bottom of the dish before any one else can get to them. I want to share my perfect roast potato recipe with my foodie friends. I hope you will try this recipe, and even more so, I hope you enjoy it! :)
Roast and Rate
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
4 portions (allowing 5 per person)
- 50ml, vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon, salted butter
- 20 small white flowery (or 10 medium) potatoes, peeled and washed
- 1 tablespoon, semolina
Semolina Roast Potatoes
Read More From Delishably
- a deep bottomed pot with a lid
- a baking dish or roasting tray
- a tablespoon
- 1 large serving plate or bowl
- Cut the potatoes into even halves if using medium potatoes.
- Place into a pan of cold water (just covering the potatoes) and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 10 mins.
- Place your baking dish/roasting tray with the vegetable oil into a preheated oven 250°F.
- Drain the potatoes and steam for 10 mins lightly, shaking once during the steaming process.
- Sprinkle over the semolina and lightly shake once more to evenly coat the potatoes.
- Remove your baking dish/roasting tray and add the salted butter (it must be butter, not margarine).
- Add in the potatoes (be carful of the heat and spitting when the potatoes meet the hot oil).
- Place potatoes back into the oven.
- Periodically remove the roasting dish and turn the potatoes using a tablespoon to ensure an even golden colour and a crisp skin (2 or 3 times during roasting).
- Remove the dish from the oven and serve immediately to the table or transfer to a warm serving plate if using.
Crisp and Soft: Tried and Tasted
- Small white flowery potatoes, for example, Maris Piper potatoes or Kerr's Pinks potatoes, are perfect for roasting.
- As for the ingredients listed, if you can't get small potatoes, opt for medium ones and cut them in half.
- Add a little salt to the water before you add the potatoes to boil if you are fan of salt. I find the salted butter enough for me. And again, it must be butter, not anything else.
- Don't be tempted to use olive oil, the potatoes won't be crisp in the same way and can actually be a little soggy, which I don't like at all.
- The first time you use this recipe, keep an eye on your potatoes as they roast: oven temperatures can vary a little, so timing may also vary by a few minutes or so.
- Make sure to store your semolina in a cool dry place to ensure the grains stay nice and dry.
© 2018 Gabriel Wilson