How to Make Vegetable Stir-Fry
Stir-fried Veggies Are Vibrant and Tasty
Stir-frying is one of the quickest ways of cooking. When you are in a hurry, this method will surely save you time. This is a Chinese method of cooking vegetables that a been around for a long time.
For stir-frying, you use high temperature, less oil, and less cooking time. This way, stir-fried veggies retain their color and nutrients. Here, you can make vegetable stir-fry in bulk using less oil.
All types of veggies can be cooked by stir-frying. Here, I have stir-fried flat beans(chapparada avarekai). They took about 10-12 minutes to cook. These stir-fried beans were colorful and delicious. I served them with hot steamed rice.
Let us learn now in detail how to make a vegetable stir-fry.
- 1 heaped bowl flat green beans (chapparada avarekai), wash, remove the fiber on the sides, roughly chop them
- 1/4 cup grated coconut, optional, Indians use it, it gives nice flavor and taste
- 1 green chili, optional, I didn't use, for extra hotness
- 1 dry red chili, hot variety, broken
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 6-8 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp oil, I used coconut oil, you can use any oil of your choice
- 1/2 tsp jaggery powder or sugar, optional, to balance the taste, I used
- 1/3 tsp salt, or as per taste
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Vegetable Stir-Fry
- Wash the vegetables. You can use any type of veggie to make a stir-fry. I used flat green beans.
- Chop them finely or roughly, according to your preference.
- Finely chopped veggies cook faster. I chopped them lengthwise into small pieces. You can use a vegetable chopper here. Keep the chopped veggies aside.
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Add mustard seeds. Let them crackle.
- Throw in slit green chilies (optional), broken dry red chilies, and curry leaves. Saute on low heat for about 10 seconds.
- Now, add chopped vegetables. Add some salt. Mix them. Increase the heat to the maximum.
- Stir-cook the veggies for 3-4 minutes. Now, reduce the heat a little. Add 2 cups of water. Add jaggery powder or sugar. Mix well. Cover the pan. Stir it occasionally to ensure the veggies not burning in the bottom.
- Once the entire water evaporates, add remaining salt. Mix well. By now, the veggies would have cooked properly.
- Turn off the heat. Add grated coconut. Mix well.
- Your favorite vegetable stir-fry is ready! Serve it as a side dish with cooked rice. Enjoy eating this simple, nutrient-rich side dish.
Nutritional Information of Stir-Fried Vegetables
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||9|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 1 g||2%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 6 g||2%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 4 g||8%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 18 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|