I am a chef on a luxury world cruise liner. I love to cook and write recipes that are inspired by foods from all over the world.
Water spinach is one of the most common side dishes or appetizers served in Chinese restaurants. Popularly known as Popeye's favorite food, spinach is now recognized as a superfood that contains many wonderful nutrients.
Not only is it nutritious, but it's affordable as well. Some people who do backyard gardening may consider planting this superfood, as it can grow easily with little to no maintenance.
Learn how I made a simple appetizer using water spinach, sesame seeds, and oyster sauce.
- 100 grams water spinach, chopped (separate stalks from leaves)
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1/8 tablespoon cornstarch, diluted
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
For Preparing the Ingredients:
- 1 plate
- 4 small bowls
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
For Cooking the Dish:
- cooking spoon
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves one person
- Pour water into the pan. Bring to a boil.
- First, add the stalks of the water spinach. Then add the leaves of the water spinach.
- Add the oyster sauce and cornstarch. Cook until the sauce is thickened.
- Toss in half the amount of sesame seeds. Reserve the other half for garnish.
- Immediately remove the dish from the heat.
Tips and Techniques
- Omit cornstarch if not available.
- Separate the leaves from the stalks to cook everything evenly.
- Adjust the amount of oyster sauce if necessary. Remember that different brands have different tastes.
- Immediately transfer the cooked water spinach to a plate to avoid over-cooking.
More Nutritious Water Spinach Recipes
- How to Make Crispy Water Spinach With Spicy Soy-Vinegar Dip
Water spinach (also known as Chinese watercress) is a popular leafy green that perfectly matches any dish. Let me show you how I turned this simple vegetable into an outstanding appetizer. It's a bit greasy but absolutely delicious!
- How to Make Water Spinach With Shrimp Paste: A Chinese-Inspired Side Dish
Level up the quality of your meal by serving a healthy appetizer made with water spinach, shrimp paste, and crispy fried garlic bits. Let me share this simple and affordable Chinese-inspired recipe with you!
© 2018 Travel Chef