How to Make Yellow Pumpkin Raita or Yogurt-Based Side Dish
Yellow Pumpkin Raita or Yogurt-Based Side Dish
A Soothing Yogurt-Based Side Dish in 12 Minutes!
Eating yellow pumpkin is beneficial for your heart. It is rich in vitamin C and dietary fiber. This mild sweet vegetable is very delicious. It cooks quickly compared to other vegetables. After cooking, this pumpkin has a smooth and creamy texture.
Cooked and mashed yellow pumpkin flesh blends very well with the yogurt. Hence, this raita tastes yummy. This side dish is soothing and light on your stomach. It's the best way to beat those hot summer pangs.
This dish stays fresh for 24 hours, but you'll have to make sure that it makes it to the fridge within 3-4 hours of being made. It should stay refrigerated as frequently as possible.
Here is the recipe for this tasty raita.
- 1 heaped bowl yellow pumpkin, skin peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 2 cups yogurt or thick curd
- 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1/2 tsp for the masala, 1/2 tsp for the tempering
- 6 curry leaves
- 2 pinches hing/asafetida powder
- 1 tsp chopped coriander leaves, for garnishing
- 2 green chilies
- 1/2 tsp white lentils, for the tempering
- 1 tsp ghee or oil, I used ghee, for the tempering
- salt to taste
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Yellow Pumpkin Raita
- Cut the yellow pumpkin. Remove the seeds and skin. Chop the flesh into small cubes.
- Boil them, using just enough water till soft. They cook fast. Cooking them may take about 5 minutes in a pressure cooker. Mash them. Collect the pulp in a wide mixing bowl.
- In the meanwhile, take grated coconut, mustard seeds, and green chilies in a mixer or grinder. Grind them and add water little by little to get a smooth paste. Transfer it to the same mixing bowl.
- Add yogurt and salt. Mix well. Now, the raita is ready. You have to temper it.
- Heat ghee or oil in a small pan. Add remaining mustard seeds, white lentils, curry leaves, and a broken dry red chili. Saute till mustard splutters. Add hing/asafetida powder, Turn off the stove. Pour this tempering on the raita.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves. Serve this side dish with plain rice, parathas, flat breads, etc. Enjoy the taste.