Kale and Leek Noodle Soup
Kale & Leek Noodle Soup
Kale/Leek Noodle Soup
Ingredients For Soup
- bunch curly kale, stripped off stems
- 2 small sized leeks(cut up the whole leeks), small dices and seared in butter
- 1 small thin pork chop, thrown in whole
- 2 tbls margarine or butter, melted in pan
- 1/4 box pasta/spagettini, broken in 2 inch peices
- 2 small potatoes, dised small
- small sprig dill, thrown in crock pot whole
- 3 tops garlic scapes, thrown in whole
- pinch salt/pepper/ hot red pepper flakes, to your taste
- 16 ounces turkey broth, or chicken whatever you have
- 32 ounces water, pour in
- Cut the leeks into a 1/4 inch peices and strip leaves off of kale.Then, rinse the leeks and kale in a full sink of water to get rid of all the dirt. These vegetables tend to be a bit gritty.
- Heat two tablespoons of margain/butter in frying pan and sear the leeks , garlic scape heads,and pork chop.( Suzzycue was told to boil kale with a peice of pork so she did.) (She added butter because she liked it on spinach so thought why not on kale)
- Add 16 ounces of turkey broth and 32 ounces of water to crockpot and turn on high.
- Cut the 2 small potatoes in a small dice so they will cook all the way through. The starch from the potaoes and the pasta will thicken the soup without using milk.
- Scrape the leeks and porkchop with the butter into the crockpot as well as adding all the ingredients except the pasta. Here Suzzycue added a pinch of hot red pepper flakes/salt/pepper and the dill sprig. Cover the crock pot and leave it on high for 25 minutes.
- Break the pasta and add it ten minutes before the soup is done. The vegetables will still have a crunch and you can remove the dill sprig in one peice so no one will choke on it.
How To Make The Soup
To Kale or Not to Kale?
Would you give Kale a try?
Cabbage Rolls Make a Great Companion
This soup would be great as a side to any dish you are preparing for your family tonight, but if you are hard pressed for time serve it alongside Lazy Man's Best Cabbage Rolls, and you will be glad you did. This recipe is done from start to finish in one hour and ten minutes and is so simple your kids could put it together.
For those of you that would enjoy a fresh salad with this meal, Marinated Tomato & Basil Salad is also made with just a few ingredients. It takes only minutes to make, and it is best made the day before to meld the flavors together overnight. Making this salad ahead, the day before saves on time to make the soup.
Enjoy, and share with your friends! You won't be disappointed.
One Eight-Ounce Bowl of Kale & Leek Noodle Soup
|Serving size: 8 ounce bowl|
|Calories from Fat||54|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 6 g||9%|
|Carbohydrates 8 g||3%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Protein 8 g||16%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|