Low-Carb Shrimp-Stuffed Portobello Recipe
Healthy Can Be Indulgent
Mushrooms and shrimp are inherently low in calories, carbs, and fat. In this recipe, we introduce indulgent ingredients like cheese, cream cheese, and sour cream. This dish still nets out as low carb and calorie friendly; each mushroom as prepared in this recipe contains approximately 250 calories. This dish can be served as a starter, side, or even as a main dish. Portobello mushrooms often replace beef in dishes, so think of this as a seafood-topped steak.
- 16 ounces frozen, cooked shrimp, thawed and roughly chopped
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 green onions, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 ounce Asiago cheese, finely shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning (optional)
- 5 portobello mushroom caps
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs, seasoned or plain
- Preheat oven to 400F. Place the mushroom caps, gill-side up, on a 1/2 sheet pan lined with aluminum foil.
- Combine cream cheese, sour cream, garlic, mustard, lemon zest, Old Bay, and cheese. Mix well with a fork. Add chopped shrimp and fold gently. Add the onions and parsley flakes and fold until blended.
- Divide the shrimp mixture over the mushrooms, spreading flat.
- Melt the butter in the microwave. Add the breadcrumbs and stir to combine. Split evenly and spread over the tops of the stuffed mushrooms. You can omit these ingredients to create a dish even lower in carbs and calories.
- Bake mushrooms at 400F for 18-20 minutes.
How did you like it?
© 2019 Melissa Althen