Making Knol-Khol (Kohlrabi) Salad or Navilu Kosu Kosumbari
A Mildly Sweet and Crunchy Salad
You can eat knol-khol raw. So, making it into a salad is a good idea because you get to eat it with other veggies, herbs, and spices.
This salad is a combination of knol-khol, split green gram (moong dal), coconut, lemon juice, ginger, green chilies, hing, pomegranate, carrot, fresh coriander, and salt. Most of these ingredients are nutrient-rich.
Kohlrabi (knol-khol) is a rich source of vitamins and dietary fiber. However, it has very few calories. It is low-fat and has zero cholesterol. People consider it beneficial for regulating weight control.
Moong dal or split mung beans are also an excellent source of protein and fiber. It has many nutrients like manganese, potassium, copper, zinc, magnesium, and many B vitamins.
This knol-khol salad is mildly spicy and very delicious. Eat 3-4 tablespoons of this any time of the day and boost your health and immunity.
Let me now share the detailed recipe of this awesome salad with you.
- 1 cup knol-khol/kohlrabi, also called as navilu kosu, peeled, diced
- 1 cup split green gram/split mung beans/moong dal, soaked in water for 2 hours, strained
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 2 tbsp fresh green coriander, finely chopped
- 2 small green chilies, not so hot variety
- 1/4 inch ginger, finely chopped or grated
- 1/4 tsp or less asafoetida/hing powder
- 2 pinches sugar, optional, to balance the taste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup pomegranate kernels
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, for the tempering
- 1/2 tsp white lentils/urad dal, for the tempering
- 1 tbsp butter or clarified butter or oil, for the tempering
- 6 curry leaves, for the tempering
- 1/2 dry red chili, optional, broken, for the tempering
- 2 pinches turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, optional, for the tempering
- salt to taste
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Knol-Khol (Kohlrabi) Salad or Navilu Kosu Kosumbari
- Soak moong dal in water, added with a little salt and turmeric powder for 2 hours. Strain it.
- Put diced knol-khol, grated carrot, grated coconut, soaked moong dal, pomegranate kernels, chopped green chilies, grated ginger, hing powder, chopped fresh coriander leaves, sugar(optional), lemon juice, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Gently mix them. Now, the salad is ready. To make it more delicious, you have to temper it.
- For that, heat a table spoon of butter or oil or ghee in a small pan. Add mustard seeds to it. Let them crackle. Add cumin seeds, curry leaves, white lentils, and broken dry red chili. Saute for 10 seconds. Turn off the heat. Transfer this tempering to the mixing bowl.
- Mix the tempering with the salad. Your favorite knol-khol salad is ready to serve.
- Serve 3-4 table spoons of it in a bowl. Enjoy munching this sweet, spicy, crunchy, and nutritious raw salad!
Nutritional Information of Knol-Khol Salad
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||9|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 1 g||2%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 14 g||5%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 6 g||12%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 18 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|