Making Lemon Rasam or Lemon Soup With Lentils
Lemon Rasam or Lemon Soup with Lentils
Lemon rasam is a South Indian soup that is made of lemon, lentils, ginger, garlic, green chilies, and tomato. This is a moderately spicy and refreshing soup. If you have cold or sore throat, drinking this rasam will surely help get rid of the problems.
Making this rasam is very easy. You only need a few basic, everyday ingredients. Let me share the recipe with you.
- 1/4 cup split pigeon peas or toor dal, soaked in water for 10 minutes
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 green chilies, slit lengthwise and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3/4 inch ginger, crushed
- 1/4 tsp or less hing or asafoetida powder
- 1/4 tsp sugar or jaggery powder, to balance the sourness
- 1 tsp ghee, for the tempering
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, for the tempering
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds, for the tempering
- 6-8 curry leaves, for the tempering
- 1 dry red chili, broken
- 1/2 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Lemon Rasam or Lemon Soup with Lentils
- Soak split pigeon peas in water for 10 minutes. This is mainly to make them cook faster.
- Put them in a bowl. Add chopped tomatoes. Immerse them in water.
- Cook in a pressure cooker until two whistles. Simmer for about 8-10 minutes. Turn off the stove.
- Open the cooker lid, once the pressure releases completely. Mash the contents. Transfer it into a bigger vessel.
- Add crushed garlic, crushed ginger, slit green chilies, turmeric powder, sugar or jaggery powder, and salt. Add water to get liquid consistency.
- Boil the mix for 4-5 minutes. Add lemon juice and finely chopped coriander leaves. Just give a boil. Turn off the fire.
- Now you have to temper this rasam. Heat ghee or oil in a small pan. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves, broken dry red chili, and hing powder. Saute them till mustard splutters. Pour this on the rasam. Mix once.
- Tangy and flavorful lemon rasam or lemon soup with lentils is ready to eat or drink!
- Serve it with boiled rice or drink it like a soup. Reap the health benefits. Enjoy the taste.
Nutritional Information of lemon Rasam
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||36|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 4 g||6%|
|Carbohydrates 10 g||3%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 5 g||20%|
|Protein 8 g||16%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 184 mg||8%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|