I worked as a banker for 17 years. I love staying fit and cooking tasty and healthy meals. I don't use artificial colors and preservatives.
Lemon Rasam or Lemon Soup with Lentils
Lemon rasam is a South Indian soup that is made of lemon, lentils, ginger, garlic, green chilies, and tomato. This is a moderately spicy and refreshing soup. If you have a cold or sore throat, drinking this rasam will surely help get rid of the problems.
Making this rasam is very easy. You only need a few basic, everyday ingredients. Let me share the recipe with you.
Read More From Delishably
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Four bowls of rasam
- 1/4 cup split pigeon peas or toor dal, soaked in water for 10 minutes
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 green chilies, slit lengthwise and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3/4 inch ginger, crushed
- 1/4 tsp or less hing or asafoetida powder
- 1/4 tsp sugar or jaggery powder, to balance the sourness
- 1 tsp ghee, for the tempering
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, for the tempering
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds, for the tempering
- 6-8 curry leaves, for the tempering
- 1 dry red chili, broken
- 1/2 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Lemon Rasam or Lemon Soup with Lentils
- Soak split pigeon peas in water for 10 minutes. This is mainly to make them cook faster.
- Put them in a bowl. Add chopped tomatoes. Immerse them in water.
- Cook in a pressure cooker until 2 whistles. Simmer for about 8-10 minutes. Turn off the stove.
- Open the cooker lid, once the pressure releases completely. Mash the contents. Transfer it into a bigger vessel.
- Add crushed garlic, crushed ginger, slit green chilies, turmeric powder, sugar or jaggery powder, and salt. Add water to get liquid consistency.
- Boil the mix for 4-5 minutes. Add lemon juice and finely chopped coriander leaves. Just give a boil. Turn off the fire.
- Now you have to temper this rasam. Heat ghee or oil in a small pan. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves, broken dry red chili, and hing powder. Saute them till mustard splutters. Pour this on the rasam. Mix once.
- Tangy and flavorful lemon rasam or lemon soup with lentils is ready to eat or drink!
- Serve it with boiled rice or drink it like a soup. Reap the health benefits. Enjoy the taste.